Lookn 2 Buy 2007-2009 Es350

topcat64

Hey guys new here to forum. I'm lookn to purchase a lexus es 350 07-09. What I have found all seem to hve around 70-90k miles. Im lookn to spend about 18000 for the car. My first question is it worth it with high miles. Second what do I need to be aware when shopping for the lexus. Please give me as much info possible. Thanks!!!!!

topcat64,

If you've done any online research at all on used cars, as for reliability, resale and owner loyalty, you'll discover that Japanese vehicles stand at or near the top. That's why so many Camry's, Corolla's, Rav4's, Accord's, Civic's, CRV's and on and on are on the road. Move upscale price wise and Lexus, Acura, Infinity and so on carry on the same company product attributes. (Yes, I didn't mention Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, and any others I left out, because the list could go on and on.)

Personally, my wife and I always purchase 2 or 3 year old vehicles so that we don't take the depreciation hit that the original owner does, and we can go upscale by not breaking the bank. When the reliability of a Lexus or a Subaru is factored in, its a double win.

Absolutely, buy a used Lexus ES350. They are amazing vehicles that are just about bullet proof. That said, buy the best one you can afford, that screams pride of ownership by the previous owner, and that you have had checked out by an independent mechanic who you trust to give you his honest opinion on the car. If you can get the maintenance history of the car since new, so much the better.

That said, be aware that things can still go wrong with anything that is mechanical. As with any upscale vehicle, some parts are very expensive, so be sure you have the resources to deal with them. There may never be any, but you never know. For instance, on an ES with self leveling headlights (they are motorized to follow undulations in the road), the sensor on the rear suspension that triggers them is a $700 part. Its half the size of a zippo lighter and really just a volume control that should sell for $50 at most. When the one on my wife's 04 ES330 went, I found a used one on eBay for $150 including shipping.

At the mileage you are looking at, verify when the engine requires a new timing belt, and if it has been replaced and when its due. That alone can be a $250 to $700 job depending on who you get to do the work. Do the same with the iridium spark plugs, since the job can be expensive if the mechanic removes the intake manifold to do the work.

I'm not trying to scare you off, just the opposite. We've had 4 ES's and we will own more of them. They are great cars. Do your homework, and find the nicest one you can in your price range. Then buy it and enjoy the ride! Good Luck in your hunt.

I'm with gbhrps. A two or three year old used car is the best way to go if you aren't itching for a brand new car. If you are patient and a little flexible on price, I think you can get a much newer, low mileage ES350 for at or for a little more than ore than $18,000 particularly if you can find one being sold privately.

My 2000 LS400 is a good example. I bought it in 2003 when it was about 39 months old when it had about 38,000 miles on it. It was still like new. It originally listed for over $60,000. I paid right at half its original list price and might have tried to get an even better price had it not been the first day it was for sale and exactly what I was looking for. I'm still driving it at its current 176,000 miles.