Loaded But High Mileage Worth It?

MoreOrLex

While shopping for a used 450h, I've come across a tempting but high mileage 2010. I've only seen pictures but it looks real clean in/out and seems nicely equipped (Comfort, Premium w/12 spkr, Xenon, etc) plus has uncommon features I'd normally be priced out of like AWD and heads up display. Starting price is low - $31k - but mileage is very high - 96k. If the maintenance history is good, is it worth it? Do I need to worry about all those miles in only four years? For the right price I'd consider adding a Lexus ext warr, but what should I look out for and what big ticket repairs would I likely face in the near future?

Only items I can think of is the spark plugs at around 125k miles. Hey lots of mileage equates freeway miles. Car should be great. No timing belt in this car, so just check for the maintenance and I would suggest a transmission fluid change. good luck

I've heard of people keeping Lexus cars for as much as 350,000 miles. Toyota/Lexus hybrid batteries seem to go on and on and on. I still see original Prius cars on the road here. Assuming it's been well maintained and you continue to maintain it, you should be able to get another 150K out of it, at least. Is a dealer selling the car? And is it certified? If it's certified, it will come with a 36 month/100K Lexus warranty. just bought a certified 2010 RX 450h from a dealer in November with -- amzaingly -- less than 15,000 miles on it. I love the car. I'm closing in on 70, so I figure it'll be the last car I buy for myself.

I've heard of people keeping Lexus cars for as much as 350,000 miles. Toyota/Lexus hybrid batteries seem to go on and on and on. I still see original Prius cars on the road here. Assuming it's been well maintained and you continue to maintain it, you should be able to get another 150K out of it, at least. Is a dealer selling the car? And is it certified? If it's certified, it will come with a 36 month/100K Lexus warranty. just bought a certified 2010 RX 450h from a dealer in November with -- amzaingly -- less than 15,000 miles on it. I love the car. I'm closing in on 70, so I figure it'll be the last car I buy for myself.

It's an indie non-Lexus dealer so no CPO and that's why I might consider a Lexus platinum warranty. My current 11 year old car has the same mileage and needs an expensive timing belt soon, so it'd be nice not to face that. I'm also worried about electronics and other non-mechanicals - time has taken a toll on those things in my current car too.

It's a 2010, right? If so,since it's four years old, not CPO and it has 96K on it, you might not be able to get the Lexus extended warranty. But you should really check out the Lexus dealers in your area. Just for the heck of it, I searched the Lexus dealers in our area (SF Bay/Monterey Bay) and found a certified, pre-owned 2011 RX 450h with 51,327 miles on it for about $39,000 asking price. No head-up display, but it does come with the Premium package which includes NAV and heated and cooled leather front seats. A car like that would come with a 3-year, 100K warranty and you would have no getting an extended platinum warranty. And in fact, you could probably get one at a big discount from a guy at Midwest Toyota in Kansas.

It's a 2010, right? If so,since it's four years old, not CPO and it has 96K on it, you might not be able to get the Lexus extended warranty. But you should really check out the Lexus dealers in your area. Just for the heck of it, I searched the Lexus dealers in our area (SF Bay/Monterey Bay) and found a certified, pre-owned 2011 RX 450h with 51,327 miles on it for about $39,000 asking price. No head-up display, but it does come with the Premium package which includes NAV and heated and cooled leather front seats. A car like that would come with a 3-year, 100K warranty and you would have no getting an extended platinum warranty. And in fact, you could probably get one at a big discount from a guy at Midwest Toyota in Kansas.

You're right - I called around and with that mileage Lexus used car warranties are only available from Lexus dealers at time of purchase. And famous Jerry from Midwest has been essentially shut down from selling non-local plans by Lexus corporate after dealers nationwide complained he was undercutting them. In my price range, I can either go for deluxe equipped hi milers with 3rd party warranties (or no warranty) or nicely equipped with a CPO. It's a close race. I'm sure I'd survive without heads up, but still wonder if AWD is that much better than 2WD.

I can either go for deluxe equipped hi milers with 3rd party warranties (or no warranty) or nicely equipped with a CPO. It's a close race. I'm sure I'd survive without heads up, but still wonder if AWD is that much better than 2WD.

Too bad about Jerry. I wouldn't go with a 3rd party warranty; they're notoriously hard to "collect" on. I don't know if AWD is any better, but it that's the only configuration I've seen in certified, used RX 450h's. They all seem to come with the premium and comfort packages as well. Mine also has a towing package. In 2010, the head-up display was part of the "luxury" package. If you decide to go with the high-mileage car from an independent dealer, make sure all the service records come with it.

I can either go for deluxe equipped hi milers with 3rd party warranties (or no warranty) or nicely equipped with a CPO. It's a close race. I'm sure I'd survive without heads up, but still wonder if AWD is that much better than 2WD.

Too bad about Jerry. I wouldn't go with a 3rd party warranty; they're notoriously hard to "collect" on. I don't know if AWD is any better, but it that's the only configuration I've seen in certified, used RX 450h's. They all seem to come with the premium and comfort packages as well. Mine also has a towing package. In 2010, the head-up display was part of the "luxury" package. If you decide to go with the high-mileage car from an independent dealer, make sure all the service records come with it.

That's good advice - thanks!

• 7 years later...