BzowK

How To Fix Navigation Error - Incorrect Program Disc

Good Evening All -

I recently bought a 2003 GX470 which I like much more than the X5 I had prior to it. The only issue with it was that the GPS reception didn't work even though the antenna was plugged in. I found the secret screen and made the big mistake (didn't know at the time) of choosing to load a program like US-XXX in an attempt to fix it.

Now, when I turn my car on, I get a screen (1/2 English & 1/2 Japanese) saying"Error; System unable to access the program" followed by "Incorrect Program Disc. Please insert proper disc."

car1.png

I've searched all over this forum and others as well as tried a few fixes - all without any luck. Below is what is happening in more detail as well as what I've tried already to fix the issue.

The Issue in Detail

When I turn the car on, the display shows the Lexus logo for a couple of seconds, a screen saying "Please wait while the system updates for about 3 seconds (if I have any disc but the original DVD in), then the error message above.

The Map, Navigation, and Menu buttons do not work (show the message,) but Display, Audio, and others do work.

The car came with an original 3.x (I think) version maps disc. It's a Gen 2/3 unit. I purchased the 10.1 and 13.1 upgrade discs and have copied them to DVD-DL which I am using to keep the expensive retail discs unharmed. Upon purchasing the 10.1 disc, I put it in which updated the system (about 5 minutes) but kept getting disc unreadable messages (even with OEM one) so went back to older maps disc. Just got 13.1 in this week to try to fix this issue but do not believe it's installed / updated properly yet.

What I've Tried

Inserting new maps version disc to upgrade

When I do this, it does not fix the issue. The only difference is that after showing the Lexus logo, the screen shows "Please wait while system updates" for about 3 seconds (each time i turn it on) and then goes to error. I got the same results with versions 10.1 and 13.1 discs so tested and found out that it shows the same "Please wait..." message even if an audio CD is in the drive :)

(Pics at end of post)

Resetting NAV Unit via Battery Backup

After reading a post (on this site, i think) I removed the NAV unit / DVD drive from the bracket under my passenger seat. I opened it up to reveal the drive as well as the battery backup (with yellow border.) The instructions said to drain it with a light overnight. I simply removed the battery for about 5 minutes. I re-assembled it and hooked back up. No change at all

The next night, I opened it back up and drained the battery via light method as well as leaving the battery out overnight. I reassembled and still no go when trying to Original, 10.1, or 13.1 discs.

Below are pics of the NAV Unit I removed. Included are the cables connected to it and model number. Is this the box I'm supposed to do this to or is there another?

(Pics at end of post)

Resetting NAV Unit via Ribbon Cable

I've read that units may be reset by unplugging a ribbon cable for a few seconds - but - don't know if this pertains to my unit or not as the ribbon cable was difficult to get to and seemed to be the drive data interface. Still, removing the battery should have had the same effect. Perhaps I'm doing this on the wrong box?

Another Secret Menu

I cannot currently access the secret menu I had previously where I made the stupid mistake. I did find out about another today, though. Holding down the Info button, turn the lights Off, then On 3-4 times. Unfortunately, this menu doesn't have the same options therefore I can't change anything back (even if I knew what to change it back to.) It does have a "NAV Reset" option, but it's greyed out.

So - that's where I'm at. I can't afford $1000+ on new hardware and would really hate to do so. Any suggestions? I'm willing to try anything to fix this!

Thanks!

Pics

car2.png

car3.png

car4.png

car5.png

Hi Ben and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

Well upfront, I am not going to be of much help. But this is my "for what it's worth" column.

Fear not for things are not beyond repair. The major problem with all first generation Nav. systems was providing a consistant, smooth, platform for on going software updates. Obviously, as your experience has proved, that smooth upgrade path is still a work in process.

Since you've already done a lot of research, I would take a differant direction and contact your Lexus dealer. Here's why. Lexus .should have the ability to reboot the system and clear the old and new software its trying to do a Vulcan Mind Meld with. Lexus should also be able to load the current release for upgrade Nav. Yes, people will tell you that Lexus is exspensive. My response is if I can solve the problem in the correct manner. at one appt. with factory training., and then be able to have a place where I can go back to for questions and ongoing support.

Thats my two cents,

Paul

Ben - I cannot help you but I have the exact same issue. Were you ever able to find resolution?

Thanks

Jim

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Nick Boltz
      Does anyone know if/when Lexus is releasing the 2018-19 navigation system update? I've searched all over the place, and the latest info I can find refers to the 2017 update.
      I have a 2015 RX350 with the original maps, and I'd like to update them as soon as the newer updates become available.
    • By RyGuy2484
      I just purchased a 2004 GX470 about a month ago.  It has the Marc Levinson sound system with navigation, cassette radio unit with a multi-disc player in the glove box.  When you push the Audio button the nav screen, all the screen says is "Audio Off" with no audio coming from the radio.  When my lights are on at night, I noticed the radio unit itself is not illuminated which makes me believe I have a power issue possibly to the radio unit. After some research, I did come across the Service manual for the radio ( http://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-toyota_kex-m8527-kex-m8727_servicemanual.pdf ).  
      If I put in a destination in the navigation, you can hear the audible instructions.  If you push the other buttons on the nav screen, you can hear an audible tone at the press of the button.  However, when you push the audio button, it just gives you the message "audio off".  I brought a multimeter home from work the other night to check the power coming through the wiring harnesses and from what I could tell, I am not getting any power.  (***Side note - I know enough to be dangerous but I do not claim to be a technician by any means and most of my information is from some engineering friends and YouTube...).  I referenced the various pin positions in the radio service manual to know which ones to check.  I also checked with the vehicle key turned to ACC mode and then also checked with the engine running.  Both times, it didn't appear that I had any power coming through to the radio unit.  I also checked the fuses and they all seemed to be fine.
      I called one of the local car audio shops here in town that I received a good recommendation from and he basically said good luck and they wouldn't touch it with being OEM and knowing all the issues that the Marc Levinson system has had.
      Has anyone else seen this issue?  Any ideas on where the power would actually be coming from that feeds the radio head unit?  The wire schematic is included on the service manual but it's tough to make heads or tails of it.
      Thanks in advance for any responses.
    • By Carteak004
      I am able to listen to navigation and cursor sounds but cannot listen to music. FM, AM, Bluetooth or iPod, nothing is working Cannot turn volume up or down. Any ideas?
      55398162695__FAD5088A-ED4D-42F4-8ACE-493CE31EBAFD.MOV
    • By Lexus Owners Club
      The Lexus RC F GT3 secured a sensational first victory in the Blancpain GT Series at the Paul Ricard circuit in the South of France on Saturday. Emil Frey Lexus Racing’s Alberto Costa Balboa took the lead just half a lap from the chequered flag in the six-hour Endurance Cup race to claim a memorable result for the team and for Lexus
      The result sets the seal on a steady transformation of the team’s fortunes in the RC F GT3’s first full season of European GT competition and delivers on the promise the car showed in scoring points and podium results in the previous rounds of the series at Brands Hatch and Silverstone.
      Lorenz Frey, Team Principal, said: “We still can’t believe it. The last lap was nerve-racking, nobody would have thought that after six hours it would be so close. We have now definitely proven that we have a very strong package and can demonstrate the performance of the Lexus and the expert work of our team.”
      The race was rare in offering so much close action throughout its 1,000km distance. In a field of 51 starters, just one second covered the qualifying times of the top 24 cars. At the start, Christian Klien in the No14 Lexus moved from fourth on the grid to second by the first corner, while team-mate Stéphane Ortelli in the sister No114 car also put in a strong first stint, racing from eighth to third within just a few laps.

At nightfall, both Lexus RC F GT3 looked on course for a podium finish. Norbert Siedler in the No114 had a strong fight with the No7 Bentley, but light contact meant he couldn’t progress beyond fourth before handing over to Ortelli. He too suffered contact with another car, which required an unscheduled pit stop to repair damage to the steering. This effectively ruled the Lexus out of contention, but the team were able to use the remaining hours to test and prepare the car for the highlight of the season, the 24-hours of Spa.
      Meanwhile, Marco Seefried was running in a good fourth spot in the No14 car when he handed the wheel to Costa Balboa for the last hour of the race. Once the leading No72 Ferrari suffered an engine failure and the second-placed McLaren received a drive-through penalty, the Lexus found itself running in second place. Costa Balboa was just 0.8 seconds behind the leading Bentley with eight minutes to go. On the final lap, he seized the initiative with a great overtaking move through turn 10, securing an incredible first victory for Lexus in the Blancpain GT Series.
      Emil Frey Racing now leads the Endurance Cup team’s championship standings. The next outing for the team will be a two-race Sprint Cup meeting at Misano, in Italy, from 22 to 24 June.
    • By Yogi1958
      New to this Lexus ES 350 Club: I always said I'd own a Lexus by the time I turned 60 (just as my Dad said he would own a Lincoln by the time he turned 60 - and he did). 2 weeks ago (and 5 months before my 60th bd), I did it. I now own a Deep Sea Blue Mica 2015 ES 350 with 44k miles in excellent shape. Prior to this, I drove a Toyota Avalon Limited, and I thought the ride could not be any more quiet or more smooth. I was wrong. The Lexus is far and away more solid, quiet, comfortable and smooth. I made a great choice for under $24k.