2008 Es350 Now At 195,000 Miles....keep Or Trade?

KBRX330

Ok, so my ES has given me pretty flawless ownership for 195,000 miles. I have told myself that I would drive this thing until 200k and then get another one. The car still rides remarkably well on the factory suspension and brake rotors etc. All fluids have been changed every 50k (except oil every 5k) and spark plugs at 140k air filter every 20k. 2 serpentine belts, 2 wheel bearings, 1 O2 sensor.The trans still shifts like new.

So should I get new struts, brakes,tires, fluids and super professional detail job and keep going another 50,000 miles for $3000 in maintenance OR trade it in and add $3000 to the trade?

What say you Lexus people?

KBRX330,

That's a hard one! Its running great and isn't costing you to do so. At the same time you still have a desireable car for trading or selling privately.

I don't see a down side to either choice, other than trading puts you back into monthly payments, unless you have the resources and can drop the entire purchase price at one time.

Flip a coin!

Ok, so my ES has given me pretty flawless ownership for 195,000 miles. I have told myself that I would drive this thing until 200k and then get another one. The car still rides remarkably well on the factory suspension and brake rotors etc. All fluids have been changed every 50k (except oil every 5k) and spark plugs at 140k air filter every 20k. 2 serpentine belts, 2 wheel bearings, 1 O2 sensor.The trans still shifts like new.

So should I get new struts, brakes,tires, fluids and super professional detail job and keep going another 50,000 miles for $3000 in maintenance OR trade it in and add $3000 to the trade?

What say you Lexus people?

Have you decided what you're going to do?

Economically, it's pretty much never a good idea to trade in a paid-off vehicle for a new one; the best course, strictly in economic terms, is generally to keep driving a car "into the ground" (i.e., until it's costing more to keep it on the road than you'd be paying for a new one - which is a point few ever really get to).

So it's going to come down to - how happy are you with what you've got, and how important is a new/different car to you? IF a thorough going-over of your ES shows no big concerns, you've got fresh tires and other consumables, and you're OK with the car as it is - then it's really "why NOT keep this another 50k miles?"

But some people really, really, really want that New Car Experience. And a six-year-newer car is certainly going to have some interesting new features, compared to your '08, if that sort of thing is important to you.

Economically, it's pretty much never a good idea to trade in a paid-off vehicle for a new one; the best course, strictly in economic terms, is generally to keep driving a car "into the ground" (i.e., until it's costing more to keep it on the road than you'd be paying for a new one - which is a point few ever really get to).

So it's going to come down to - how happy are you with what you've got, and how important is a new/different car to you? IF a thorough going-over of your ES shows no big concerns, you've got fresh tires and other consumables, and you're OK with the car as it is - then it's really "why NOT keep this another 50k miles?"

But some people really, really, really want that New Car Experience. And a six-year-newer car is certainly going to have some interesting new features, compared to your '08, if that sort of thing is important to you.

We like the 08 Es I just want to avoid a major expense like AC Compressor or Transmission. A full refurbishment will cost about the equivalent of 10 payments. But getting a CPO 2011 or 2012 ES will close the gap $$ wise and get us back to the 30,000 mile range with a 100k warranty. Decisions decisions. :huh:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow - 195K miles! I've been having nearly the same conversation with myself and I just hit 98K! I thought I would be replacing the struts etc., soon. Apparently not!

At 98k you need a trans flush, new coolant, new serpentine belt, new brake fluid, extract & refille P/Steering reservoir and keep on driving anothet 98K. Change the spark plugs at 120-140k

Ive done all of that except the trans flush. Why hasn't the dealer mentioned that and why is it not listed in the maintenance schedule?

Becasue they tell you that the WS ATF is "lifetime fluid". Which I never buy. I flush mine every 50-60k. If you are at 100k I would definitely have the atf changed out if you plan to keep the car. But that's just me because I plan to keep the car until 200k again as a minimum. I include changing the atf in all of my cars as a part of regular maintenence. It is not that expensive even if you only do it once. My Lexus dealer will say they "never" change the atf. But my Toyota dealer flushes atf all the time in vehicles with the same 2GR-FE powertrain. So who really knows?

• 4 weeks later...

CPO is how I just got my 2010 this week and am happy so far.

They kept trying to sell me the extended warranty on top of the 3/100 but it just did not seem to be a smart move to me for the cost of it.

I've read others on here have felt the same.

Is that still the general feeling?

CPO is how I just got my 2010 this week and am happy so far.

They kept trying to sell me the extended warranty on top of the 3/100 but it just did not seem to be a smart move to me for the cost of it.

I've read others on here have felt the same.

Is that still the general feeling?

I denied the extended warranty as well all the other add ons they threw at me on my CPO.

• Like 1