Water Pump

I have an an 04 RX 330 with 50K miles. Recently had a complete maintenance. They (Lexus) suggested a new waterpump. Since the existing one has given no trouble and my extended warranty only covers a failed one I declined. Did I make a mistake? Will I get an warning if the pump starts to fail?

Typically (many other vehicles), the water pump is replaced when the timing belt is. In your case, there should be no need unless the pump is leaking. We have 85,000 miles on ours with no issues.

I agree with the other responder. If you do not notice any leakage, you should be all right. Anti-freeze leakage (and the associated drop in coolant level) is the sure sign of the need to replace it. I also have about 85K in my RX 350 and the cooling system is fine.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

My 2006 rx400h had the water pump replaced at 90k miles along with timing belt.  My mechanic told me that the pump is corroded and leaking.  I did in fact started having to top off coolant since 70k miles.  

So I think water pump should be replace along with timing belt,but only when the schedule for timing belt comes up.