kgrx

All three rear brake lights do not illuminate. Researching Lexus forums indicates the failure is likely the brake light failure sensor located in the rear driver's side of the rear compartment. I'm slowly removing the trim pieces to attempt to get access to the sensor, but I cannot discern how to remove the rear power outlet (ie: rear cigarette lighter). How does one remove the power outlet so that you can remove the trim inside the rear driver's side panel?

Thanks!

You may also consider checking the relevant fuse (consult your owner's manual to see which one to check) first before physically going for the sensor.

E.g. my headlight stopped working and I thought I need the replace the bulb. In reality I just needed to replace the fuse which blown out.

• 1 year later...

You may also consider checking the relevant fuse (consult your owner's manual to see which one to check) first before physically going for the sensor.

E.g. my headlight stopped working and I thought I need the replace the bulb. In reality I just needed to replace the fuse which blown out.

I believe all headlights work on a circuit breaker, not a fuse. Safety reasons. A bad circuit breaker maybe?

I did the solder job on the brake light failure sensor. It seems to have done the trick. I have brake lights again. Oddly enough, I did not have any warning light on the dash, just no brake lights.

Thanks a million to all of those who posted how to's to get at that demonic and idiotic light box.

Honestly, I would much rather just have a bulb out and find out the old fashioned way. Now, when this $500 brake light failure ensuring device craps out, which by all observations, it eventually will, you have no brake lights anyway.

Loving my Tundra more and more every minute.