Amsoil Vs. Mobil 1 Article

silvermate

Snake oil websites like that are a dime a dozen. There's alot of stuff about synthetic oil they don't want the public to know. Like synthetic provides virtually no engine wear advantage compared to conventional oil at normal engine operating temperatures and only a marginal advantage at engine start up, although that margin becomes more clear cut at winter temps near or below zero degrees F.

The truth comes out when you look at the claims made on the bottles of name brand (not off brands like Amsoil & Royal Purple) synthetics like Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc. NONE of them claim an engine wear advantage compared to conventional oil at normal temperatures. They use clever language like "greater film strength" "greater protection" blah, blah, blah. Nothing specific like: extends engine life 40% compared to conventional oil."

The most important truth the lubewhore websites don't want the public to know is that a properly maintained and driven Lexus or Toyota engine will not be seriously worn even after 500,000 miles of using dinosaur oil. Lexus engineers know this and that's likely one reason why they do not embrace synthetic oil.

correct, there are a bunch of hooplah websites.

there are a lot of avid Mobil and Amsoil user members on this site, that each offer there own confident opinion, as well as i. and you will learn this since u are a new member.

this was not an oppinion, that one brand of oil is>(FACT), better than another, it is just a mere interesting article i came across, that some members might find interesting ;)

I appreciate the fact that you have an opinion on oils. You are certainly entitiled to express yourself. I hope you are using the oil you like in your vehicle. I certainly do. That is why there are so many different brands of oil out there. Most oils meet minimum specifications for engine performance. Most people don't keep their cars long enough to see the advantages of using synthetic oils.

If you do not like using synthetic oils, so be it. I have had excellent success for over 30 years using these products, and I will continue to use them. I will also compare the internal condition of my engine to anyone's engine using conventional oil. If you like changing your oil and filters every 3 to 5000 miles instead of using oil analysis and changing it only when needed, be my guest.

Just understand that there are people who thnk outside the box, and travel a slightly different road than you. You said that people drive their engines 500,000 miles on regular oil. Is this without a rebuild, or is this with 2 or 3 engine replacements? I know of no one to drive that distance using regular oil and has the data and pictures to prove it.

Synthetic oil provides significant advantages at ALL temperatures, both cold and hot. Where do you live? If the seasons change, most cars will see a temperature extreme..either cold ot hot. Plus if the car is driven in the city, the oil is subjected to even more stress due to moisture and condensation formation because the car never comes up to operating temperature. Check out the oil filler cap on may city-driven cars using regular oil, and you will find foam and sludge buildup. There IS a difference my friend, whether you believe it or not.

Most people choose not to use synthetics strictly from a financial standpoint...they say it costs too much. As the old guy used to say on an old commercial.."you can pay me now, or you can pay me later". I rebuild engines for a living, and I love it when I see a Pennzoil motor come in for overhaul. If everyone used synthetics, my pockets would be a lot thinner.

NUFF SAID

I appreciate the fact that you have an opinion on oils. You are certainly entitiled to express yourself. I hope you are using the oil you like in your vehicle. I certainly do. That is why there are so many different brands of oil out there. Most oils meet minimum specifications for engine performance. Most people don't keep their cars long enough to see the advantages of using synthetic oils.

If you do not like using synthetic oils, so be it. I have had excellent success for over 30 years using these products, and I will continue to use them. I will also compare the internal condition of my engine to anyone's engine using conventional oil. If you like changing your oil and filters every 3 to 5000 miles instead of using oil analysis and changing it only when needed, be my guest.

Just understand that there are people who thnk outside the box, and travel a slightly different road than you. You said that people drive their engines 500,000 miles on regular oil. Is this without a rebuild, or is this with 2 or 3 engine replacements? I know of no one to drive that distance using regular oil and has the data and pictures to prove it.

Synthetic oil provides significant advantages at ALL temperatures, both cold and hot. Where do you live? If the seasons change, most cars will see a temperature extreme..either cold ot hot. Plus if the car is driven in the city, the oil is subjected to even more stress due to moisture and condensation formation because the car never comes up to operating temperature. Check out the oil filler cap on may city-driven cars using regular oil, and you will find foam and sludge buildup. There IS a difference my friend, whether you believe it or not.

Most people choose not to use synthetics strictly from a financial standpoint...they say it costs too much. As the old guy used to say on an old commercial.."you can pay me now, or you can pay me later". I rebuild engines for a living, and I love it when I see a Pennzoil motor come in for overhaul. If everyone used synthetics, my pockets would be a lot thinner.

The reason Toyota and other manufacturers want you to use regular oils is that they want you to buy another car every few years. It is not to their advantage to recommend the best EXCEPT in extreme situations, or certain applications like Mercedes, Corvettes, and some BMW specialty cars that ONLY recommend synthetics, or the warranty will be voided. That's good enough for me. So many turbocharged cars have failed because the cheap regular oil cokes in the oil passages, and starves the bearings of oil.....oh well.

Maybe I am just spouting hot air to some folks, so I will quit while I am ahead....NUFF SAID!!

Just understand that there are people who think outside the box, and travel a slightly different road than you. You said that people drive their engines 500,000 miles on regular oil. Is this without a rebuild, or is this with 2 or 3 engine replacements? I know of no one to drive that distance using regular oil and has the data and pictures to prove it. Is it you? I CAN show you engines with 300 to 400 thousand miles using synthetic oils that when disassembled and measured, meet the specs for new parts. Just say the word.

Synthetic oil provides significant advantages at ALL temperatures, both cold and hot. Where do you live? If the seasons change, most cars will see a temperature extreme..either cold ot hot. Plus if the car is driven in the city exclusively, the oil is subjected to even more stress, due to moisture and condensation formation. these engines never come up to operating temperature. Check out the oil filler cap on may city-driven cars using regular oil, and you will find foam and sludge buildup. There IS a difference my friend, whether you believe it or not.

The reason Toyota and other manufacturers want you to use regular oils is that they want you to buy another car every few years. It is not to their advantage to recommend the best EXCEPT in extreme situations, or certain applications like Mercedes, Corvettes, and some BMW specialty cars that ONLY recommend synthetics, or the warranty will be voided. People who spend large sums of money for their cars want better oil than standard Tier 2 oils available in America. Oils used overseas, and good synthetic oils are Tier 1 oils, and do NOT have to be changed every 3000 miles...Talk about "oilwhores"! That term should be used for companies like OILCHANGERS AND JIFFY-LUBE, who brainwash millions of people to come see them every 3000 miles. They use the cheapest bulk oils, and people keep coming back for more. This all magnifies our dependence on foreign oil, because we waste so much valuable crude.

So many turbocharged cars have failed because the cheap regular oil cokes in the oil passages, and starves the bearings of oil.....oh well.

Maybe I am just spouting hot air to some folks, so I will quit while I am ahead....NUFF SAID!!

You said that people drive their engines 500,000 miles on regular oil. Is this without a rebuild, or is this with 2 or 3 engine replacements? I know of no one to drive that distance using regular oil and has the data and pictures to prove it.

500,000 miles on dino oil without an engine rebuild is almost routine for Toyota owners who take good care of their cars and has been for around 25 years. Just ask old Leo Warfield http://www.saber.net/~monarch/leowarfield.JPG and many others like him. Or check out my friend Glen's Corolla engine after 329,000 miles on Pennzoil 10W30: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/329.cor.jpg.

The Toyota owners I know that have gone over 400,000 miles on dino oil without a rebuild have used a wide variety of brands and weights of dino oil such as Havoline 10W-40, Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 and Castrol 10W-30. they changed the oil between 3000 - 5000 miles. All but one used genuine Toyota oil and air filters. And for the past 10 years, Quaker State has offered a 250,000 mile engine wear out guarantee to ANY new car owner who changes their Quaker State dino oil and the oil filter every 4 months or 4000 miles. This includes American cars.

About 10 years ago Consumer Reports found no significant differences in engine wear rates in taxi cab fleets running dino vs. synthetic oils when both oils were changed per manufacturers recommendations.

The Toyota / Lexus engineers seem to know all this because they recommend dino oil even for all the 2004 models:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/ls430.jpg

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/lexoil2.jpg

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/lexoil2.jpg

While they don't prohibit the use of synthetic oil, the engineers emphatically warn owners not to extend oil change intervals when using synthetic. http://www.saber.net/~monarch/synno10K.jpg

gserep1: Very well said.....X3. I couldn't agree with you more.

I am certain that the discussion of dino vs synthetic will go on as long as Lite Beer's arguement over "less filling" or "tastes great".

steviej

Silver, you should forward your Amsoil vs. Mobil 1 comparison chart to Mobil 1 (perhaps to the engineers or customer service manager). I'd be courious as to what the response(s) would be! :unsure: Thats not to say I think Mobil 1 is better than Amsoil (I use Mobil 1 5w30 myself) as I know that Amsoil is a very good synthetic as well, just would be intrested in what Mobil says about this claim is all. :)

:cheers:

StevieJ,

You are correct - this is an unending topic :lol: I, of course, use synthetic (Amsoil) and I know it's improved my engine. Amsoil also has a 250K engine warranty - for whatever that means <_<

The local Lexus dealers have all gone to full synthetic oil in the new LS430's :D

• 4 weeks later...