Jiffylube Oil Change For Your Lexus

gatorbill

The time is coming for the first oil change due on my pre-owned GS300.

I'm not the mechanic type so I'd rather have someone else change the oil and filter for me and so would you trust one of the quick oil change places to service your Lexus or should I go to the dealer ?

IMO i don't trust those idiots at jiffy lube. i've had bade experiences there,

1)although i've never taken my lexus there, i took my eclipse there a couple of times (97 GSX), and was *BLEEP*ed, one time they didn't tighten the drain plug all the way, so it leaked oil, (good thing i caught it.)

2)the other time they put some qauker state in my car when i asked for mobil 1, and lied to me.

3)to add to that, it seemed like everytime i went in there they were trying to tell me somethning needed to be replaced, like my air filter, when i said do u think i'm stupid you fool, i just changed it 2,000 miles ago.

---in conclusion i will NEVER and i mean NEVER take my car there again, and i recommend u don't either

p.s u don't have to be a mechanic to change your own oil. it will cost you a lot less money, and by doing it yourself you know it will be done right, ie...good oil, and oil filter.

You could pick up 5 quarts of genuine Toyota 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil at your local Toyota dealer for about $2 a quart, plus a genuine Toyota oil filter for about $5 and then have Jiffy Lube

install them. That way you'd be assurred Jiffy Lube was using high quality products that have been specifically tested and approved by Toyota and Lexus.

Does Jiffy Lube have that 15 minute guarantee? If that's true, then the workers have a time limit and they won't drain as much oil as a shop that takes a bit more time.

But for a gs300, the engine is a 2jz so it should be similar to my sc300. If you reconsider, you can change the oil without having the car up (you just need long arms, a ratchet, socket of certain diameter, oil pan, oil filter, and oil. The hardest part would to take off the oil filter. If you do that, the first time would take 1.5 hours at most, given that you spend 30 minutes trying to get that oil filter off. After a few times you can change the oil in about 15 minutes after the car cools down from a spirited drive.

Do you not have a reliable mechanic to take the vehicle to for this if you don't want to do it yourself? I'm very carful as to whom I let touch my car. Personally I don't care about a 15min oil change......if they let it drain out 5 - 10 minutes longer to get more of the old oil out, thats what I'd prefer. Are you planning to stay with regular dino oil or switch to synthetic?

:cheers:

Personally, I do my own oil changes. I've heard some scary things about Jiffy Lube too - even if you buy your own stuff and have them do it, they might not tighten your oil filter or drain plug enough resulting in leaks or a blown motor, these are the most common complaints that I hear about them.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with slivermate, jiffylube is a scary place to bring your car;

1) usually they do not really like the whole bring your own oil and filter idea.

2) Friend of mine owns a 97' Audi, that mind you come with an aluminum oil pan,

brought it jiffylube for an oil change and left with a cracked oil pan due to an

extreme overtightening of the drainplug. :censored:

I to am not a master mechanic, but nothing is more satisfying than doing your own work on your car.

Either DIY if you have the means (make sure you have the bills of all fluids purchased just in case ;) or find a good reliable independent machanic that you trust......I will not take my car to some place where teenage highschool kids still wet behind the ears and allow them to touch any car of mine (let alone a Lexus!). Just my 2 cents. I'm very carful of whom I let work on my vehicle even for basic stuff. B)

:cheers:

Ok, I definitely agree with silvermate on the lack of efficiency at JiffyLube.

They work on the idea of "Get'em in--Get'em out". It's great if confidence is

your ONLY concern. And I would have to guess, they have only limited

technical knowledge. Seems to me, if you spent "good money" on your car,

then spend money on "good quality care" for it. I'm not a DIY guy, but

I'll take it first to someone that knows, rather than someone that tells me

my air-filter is dirty at 2K miles!

PharmGuy

Oh--LexusFreak----- you're totally right---- a good independent mechanic

knows what makes the car work great. I had one for my Pontiac, but

he won't do my Lexus, he know's it's more computerized than he can do.

• 3 weeks later...