Are The Pep Boys Trying To Bs Me? O2 Sensor Replacement

tommayer

Recently the CEL light came on in conjunction with the vsc, of course. So I pulled the code....P0138 (O2 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank1, Sensor2) and took the car to Pep Boys to have the sensor replaced. $400 later, the sensor was replaced, but the CEL turned on after driving about 10 miles. So I returned to Pep Boys for them to take a look. They ran their diagnostics and determined that 2 other o2 sensors now need to be replaced. They ordered the parts which should be ready in a week.

When I picked up the car I checked the code again. Same code... P0138.

It seems a little strange that 3 o2 sensors would fail within a week of one another.

If you guys have any thoughts, let me know.

Do you think their assessment is bogus or what?

BTW, I just read this: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/55589-diy-01-ls430-code-p0135-oxygen-sensor-bank-one-sensor-1/?p=419073&hl=paperclip&fromsearch=1#entry419073

I'll give it a shot ASAP

Thanks in advance,

Tom

tommayer,

Pep Boys, and all those other parts suppliers that give free scans, are in business to sell parts. They cannot replace a good mechanic who understands all of the varients that the code suggests for that particular make and model.

I'm not saying that they took you for a ride, but rather that a good independent mechanic or dealership technician who is familiar with Toyotas and Lexus models would have been a better choice. The parts counter guys just replace parts and often don't know that the codes can really point to other issues that need addressing. Throwing a bunch of parts at an issue often doesn't address what the real problem is.

When a power steering pump leaks, the Pep Boys can get you the parts, the fix is obvious. Diagnosing codes can often be a much different matter that requires someone with actual experience.

I hope this doesn't come across as a lecture, because that was not my intent at all. Good Luck!

Seems there is no way you should have this issue in the first place. Sensors are just that, they probe and report. Not saying this is why but just a suggestion. I have found that when you use cheap gasoline you get just that. Sure you save a few dollars at the pump but in the long run, it can cost more. In the past when I shopped gasoline prices, I often had these kind of problems. For the past several years I have used only "top tier" fuels such as Exxon Mobil, BP, Shell, or my favorite, Sunoco. Some cheap fuels can clog sensors which causes the CEL to come on. Not saying this is why but one possibility.

My neighbor has an RX300 which has both the VSC and CEL illuminated. I put my scanner on it and it says bad O2 sensor. When the weather warms, I will probably see if replacing the sensor helps.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your replies.

I recently moved from Pennsylvania to North Jersey, so I haven't found a good mechanic yet. I suppose I could always take the car to the local dealership, but I their rates are a little higher than I'd like to pay.

The car has been running fine and it doesn't seem to be a critical issue. HOWEVER....last night I was in New Brunswick, NJ visiting a lady friend. After I left her house, I walked to my car and found that all the windows were down about 1/4 of the way. The moon roof was in it's tilted position, too. There's absolutely no possibility I did this without realizing it. Has anyone heard of this?

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom

You will find that if you hold down the unlock button on your key fob that all of your windows will wind down and the sun roof will open.

This is so from a distance you can ventlate the car on hot days before you get in the car. So by the time you get o the car the car the heat has escaped.

• Like 1

Hi Tom

You will find that if you hold down the unlock button on your key fob that all of your windows will wind down and the sun roof will open.

This is so from a distance you can ventlate the car on hot days before you get in the car. So by the time you get o the car the car the heat has escaped.

This is a really neat feature!

Oh jeez. I feel a bit stupid now....

The car was given to me so I'm not really familiar with all the bells and whistles.

I'll keep you guys posted on the O2 sensor issue. Thanks for the support so far.

Tom

by the way, that feature can be a real pain if the car is parked near you when you have the key in your pocket and can cause problems if it is raining and can cause 1000's of bucks of damage.

It can be turned off at the dealer... I always have mind turned off because once i left work and went to the public car park and found my car with all it windows down.. goodness knows how long that was like that. Luckily my stuff was not stolen.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom: Find yourself a local Toyota dealer who may have a better shop rate and will have the correct tech scan computer software to diagnose your car. That's what I do. They will still nick you $3-400 for the O2 sensor but it will be diagnosed accurately.