Lexus Nx Concept

denslexusgx470

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/28/production-lexus-nx-leaked-jim-lentz-presentation/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000588

Any inputs guys? Looks like Lexus is just mixing and matching their current models to come up with a new line-up of models.

I like it, along with the RC Coupe. If you think about it, have you ever seen a BMW without that old, worn out front grille design? I like the fact that Lexus has finally listened to it's customers and made some style changes that match the 21st century.

Paul

I'm going to be honest, I still need some time to adjust to this new grille styling. I told myself the same thing back around 07ish when the "L-Finesse" styling was done but it didn't take long for me to adjust to that. Who knows, it may just be a matter of time and I'll be adjusted to the new grille styling.

I think I know what makes all the pictures of the new grills look so hideous. If you will notice, the new IS looks better in person than in a photograph. I think it is because all the pics you see of one is from a low angle (my favorite angle of my car) which makes the bottom part of the grill look even larger than life. Kinda, "does this make my butt look big" concept. The way they are photographing the spindle grills is not doing them justice at all.

Some risk is involved with this spindle grill. 3 of my friends voiced marginal to negative opinions of the IS spindle grill so far, not good.

Personally I don't mind the grill, although I prefer to see new IS in darker colors which tones down the grill effect. Latest gen (with spindle grill) GS and IS sales are up over previous generation, so the grill doesn't seem to be hurting sales based on those simple sales stat comparisons.

The RC coupe (based on pictures of production version) is hot. I expect it will have an aggressive stance similar to BMW 4 series coupe.

Specific to the topic, Nx, Lexus really needs to be in this high growth segment of compact crossover/SUVs. For me it's an ideal sized SUV, I have a Mazda CX-5 very similar in size and it's the most useful vehicle in my garage. The Nx should be a winner.

I think I know what makes all the pictures of the new grills look so hideous. If you will notice, the new IS looks better in person than in a photograph. I think it is because all the pics you see of one is from a low angle (my favorite angle of my car) which makes the bottom part of the grill look even larger than life. Kinda, "does this make my butt look big" concept. The way they are photographing the spindle grills is not doing them justice at all.

That's what I wanted to believe also, but having a brand new IS250 loaner for 4 days, driving 1300 miles on it (don't ask, even I don't know how I accumulated 1300 miles in 4 days lol) and every time I parked it, I tried looking at that big spindle grill at every possible angle and still can't accept it... hopefully just for now. Honestly as much I dislike having a front license plate on my car, I probably would put a front license plate (or "L" logo plate) if I were to purchase a new Lexus now with the spindle grill or I would get a black vehicle (which I don't prefer because of swirl marks, easily shows dirt, and very hot in the Central Valley summer heat).

post-9735-0-34211800-1391098260_thumb.jp

post-9735-0-62817600-1391098367_thumb.jp

post-9735-0-33297700-1391098370_thumb.jp

post-9735-0-45145500-1391098374_thumb.jp

post-9735-0-46141400-1391098376_thumb.jp

post-9735-0-70885600-1391098581_thumb.jp

You see that I bought a '13. Specifically because I like the front end of mine better. Of course the fact that the "new" IS won't come in a convertible was another reason.

They loaned us a brand spanking new F150 4x4 while they got my husband the truck he wanted from another dealer. It was only from Friday afternoon to Monday morning. They were a bit amazed and annoyed that we turned it in with 500 miles on it. That is just our lifestyle...go-go-go. That stupid thing stickered for $51k. Did you ever think you would see a pickup truck go for that much?

I have nothing against your new IS. Personally I think I just need more time to adjust to it. Back when the LS460 came out in 2007, I really thought that Lexus went downhill on the LS's design, but now I have an LS460 in my garage. It took some time for me to accept the LS460. Once I probably start seeing the new spindle grill more, it'll grow on me. ;)

Fortunately grills are just cosmetic (yes, even Madonna wore a grill last Sunday night). And latest Lexus products seems to have very good overall styling overall even if the grill is a bit dramatic.

I think some of you have hit the piston on the head. Think back to when the ES350 was brought out. The grille work on that was not felt to be a warm and fuzzy relation ship. My first thought was, "what the hell did they do with all the beautiful wood in the cabin? For many of us it was the upside down, tear drop shape, slabe of plastic they called the dashboard.

They sold like hot cakes

Still the customer's and the motor/automotive press , along with the BMW lovers, continued to hammer away at the stayed, stuffy, no imagination, lead sled, each Lexus comes with every Medicare Card..... Not fun stuff to hear. So should something be changed or just continue on course. Finising getting the Japense factory up to full production capibility, which it hasn't had since the giant earthquake and the immediate tsunami. Additionaly, many of Lexus parts vendors and "Just in Time' suppliers were wiped out and in some cases Lexus had to help those companies rebuild. I was buying a car during this period and because I wanted real leather, it finaly could only be made in the Japan factory. As you can guess, time lines were liquid.

New is risky. New can be exciting. As one of us here pointed out earlier, anything new takes a while to adjust to. I am not being chauvanistic. but has your wife or girlfriend ever come home from the Salon? She walks in the room, puts down her purse and coat. She ask if the mails come yet. THATS IT!!!! You've looked up to answer and suddenly, something in your "Man Cave" has been disrupted.

Same thing. Mom just got home, shes trying to clear a space on counter so she can at least start something for the thundering hoard. Suddenly, like a bat out of hell, your 16 old son is making his entrance. As mom looks him over, there's just the tinest squell.

Whats the problem? You got it. He had just come from the barber with a Mohawk.

The point being some of you will learn to really like the 2013 and 2014 styles. Some of you will never like them. Okay. But never paint yousel in such a small corner that youl'll never ever be able to change.

Paul

Oh baby....I have this grill.

attachicon.giflexie3.JPG

That's right. I was thinking of the new IS. lol. My mistake.

But Paul is right. It takes a little getting used to. Just like your G37, I didn't like the barn door trunk design but I love the rest of the vehicle... So the barn door was not a big enough reason for me to not purchase one.

Same will go for the grille. If it's not a big deal, or not a deal breaker, you will still buy that new Lexus regardless ;)

Agreed, grill is not dealbreaker, and the sales results so far support that view.

The Mercedes CLA has a bling-tastic grill too, and you can even get an optional lighted Mercedes logo in middle of grill (US regs don't allow the vehicle to be moving while logo is lit).

This conversation reminds me of one of my brothers favorite sayings......"That is why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors". ;)

I don't care for the 5th gen Camaro. There are 50 million of them on the road. I must be the only person that doesn't like it.

btw - Which car is the 5th gen Camaro, the current gen "Transformer" car?

Yes. I don't like the low roof line and they say they are a pain to see out of. I guess my real complaint is that I don't want a car that I dreamed about 40 years ago. I want a sleek and sexy car of now...thus, my Lexus. :wub: