Front Bumper On 98 Ls 400 Needs Replacing.

girlwlxus

I am looking to replace the front bumper on my '98 LS 400 in pearl white. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge and experience in this field can point me in the right direction of where to look since my initial searches online have turned up nothing. I haven't been searching for long, but it seems to me that this part might be difficult to find. Is this something that is still manufactured? or will I need to buy it used?

Specifically, the piece that I'm looking to replace is the fiberglass part that rests under the headlights. (I want to be sure that I'm using the correct terminology, is this a bumper or bumper cover?)

The other recent posts that I saw related to this topic didn't have extended discussion on the matter. However if I missed a thread that might be helpful to me, I'd be glad to read through.

I'm really hoping to replace this part myself, I would rather not have to take the car into the shop… Any helpful posts/comments are wholly appreciated!

The "fiberglass part that rests under the headlights" and above the chrome strip is part of the bumper cover that contains your side marker and fog lights. Bumper covers come unpainted so you will need a body shop to do that. The bumper cover isn't all that expensive - $555.31 from Sewell Lexus ( https://lexus.sewellparts.com ) but that does not include shipping. Register with Sewell with your forum member name to get that price. You can see diagrams on the Sewell website without registering but you won't be able to see the "Club" discount prices.

That little strip is expensive - $129 with discount. I don't think the one you have can be reused but I'm not sure. I've had had three bumper covers on LS400s replaced - One front and two back due to hitting flying debris and being rear ended.

You could look for a used bumper cover - maybe locally. I suspect you could find one - maybe even in pearl white/silver - especially if your "AZ" location means Phoenix metro.

I doubt if a body shop would charge all that much to remove your current bumper cover and install a new one. It doesn't take long for someone who knows how to do it and has the correct tools.

White was an especially popular color on the LS400 in Arizona. Hmmm .... I wonder why? (I'm kidding. I've spent enough time in Arizona summer heat.)

This may help.

For the chrome trim you can buy a roll of universal self adhesive for a few $$$ I think it is 12mm something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15M-12mm-Car-Auto-Chrome-DIY-Moulding-Trim-Strip-For-Window-Bumper-Grille-Silver-/190885329574?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c71a6faa6&vxp=mtr

post-26370-0-94608700-1390758318_thumb.p

Seriously?

Seriously?

The chrome trim? yes when my 1994 was accident damaged the cracked bumper was repaired and I bought a roll of the chrome trim as mentioned, the only difference is the OEM part has 2 black plastic ends on it but you cannot tell without close inspection.

Before and after pictures.

post-26370-0-06005100-1390761958_thumb.j

post-26370-0-45676000-1390761991_thumb.j

The "fiberglass part that rests under the headlights" and above the chrome strip is part of the bumper cover that contains your side marker and fog lights. Bumper covers come unpainted so you will need a body shop to do that. The bumper cover isn't all that expensive - $555.31 from Sewell Lexus ( https://lexus.sewellparts.com ) but that does not include shipping. Register with Sewell with your forum member name to get that price. You can see diagrams on the Sewell website without registering but you won't be able to see the "Club" discount prices.

That little strip is expensive - $129 with discount. I don't think the one you have can be reused but I'm not sure. I've had had three bumper covers on LS400s replaced - One front and two back due to hitting flying debris and being rear ended.

You could look for a used bumper cover - maybe locally. I suspect you could find one - maybe even in pearl white/silver - especially if your "AZ" location means Phoenix metro.

I doubt if a body shop would charge all that much to remove your current bumper cover and install a new one. It doesn't take long for someone who knows how to do it and has the correct tools.

White was an especially popular color on the LS400 in Arizona. Hmmm .... I wonder why? (I'm kidding. I've spent enough time in Arizona summer heat.)

This post is incredibly helpful. Thank you!! I had never heard of Sewell parts, it certainly seems like it will be a great resource for me to purchase the bumper cover and perhaps even beyond that… Although, I will definitely look into a used cover, maybe I will get lucky and find one in good condition.

And yes! It's true, I've seen many other white LS 400 and not too many darker ones. AZ is hot enough without rollin in a heat magnet haha.

Thanks for the diagram! Very helpful to know which parts are distinct and their part numbers to search. The trim really is expensive! $129 seems rather steep for something that is mostly cosmetic. I will definitely look into your suggestion. I'm curious, did you replace the trim yourself? If so, how did you go about doing this?

I purchased a 10m roll of the trim and got the body shop who did the repairs to fit it.

I did replace the trim on another LS400 myself and after removing the old trim I wiped the channel with iso alcohol to remove any remaining adhesive then warmed the trim with a hairdrier to make it more pliable.

Started at one end and worked around the bumper peeling the backing off as I went, trimmed the ends and job done.