"vsc Off" Light

sanstoetter

I have a 99' LS400 that I love, but since purchase the "VSC Light" has come on with every start-up. I purchased the car with a deep discount knowing it had a VVT code that I fixed (Cleaned OCV's), and I assumed the VSC light was on due to the CEL.

The VSC light goes off after I start the car, and wait 30 seconds before putting the car in gear. If I put the car into reverse/drive while the light is on... it'll stay on the remainder of the trip. The CEL stays off, and I cannot pull any codes. Is there a way to diagnose the what's tripping the VSC light, or is this a known issue?

I am having the same issue with my 1999 LS 40. The VSC light is coming on and the car is throwing the VVT code, among others. The car idle gets very low at stop signs and the car stumbles like the engine might die. I took it to a mechanic and he thinks it is a VVT issue? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

The VSC button has no affect until the VSC light cuts off while idling prior to going in gear. Therefore if I put the car in gear before the light turns off... the button doesn't do anything. If I let the car idle long enough for the VSC light to go off... the button works correctly.

So, its the "VSC OFF" light, not the "CHECK VSC" light? If its the VSC OFF light(as mentioned in the thread title), that means some VSC self-check failed and the VSC should not work when the light is on. Do you have any snow in NC and a parking lot to try safely sliding to see if the VSC is working or not?

If the light is on, and the button is non-responsive (putting in gear before idling for the 30 seconds)... I can light up the tires with ease. If I let the car idle long enough at start up prior to putting it in gear... with the VSC OFF I can light up the tires, but otherwise Traction Control functions fine.

Well, Steve, you did not address my question on the exact light but I will guess it is the VSC OFF light. I have heard of the battery or alternator getting weak and causing issues with VSC but I believe it was the CHECK VSC.

If it were my car, I would want to experiment a bit and see if I could nail the timing(the 30 second one) down and if it was very repeatable. Next, I would not actually put it in gear but merely press on the brake pedal before the 30 seconds were over to see if it is an extra electrical load causing it.

I am having the same issue with my 1999 LS 40. The VSC light is coming on and the car is throwing the VVT code, among others. The car idle gets very low at stop signs and the car stumbles like the engine might die. I took it to a mechanic and he thinks it is a VVT issue? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

check this: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/542483-light-check-eng-and-vsc.html

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2014 at 6:12 PM, sanstoetter said:

I have a 99' LS400 that I love, but since purchase the "VSC Light" has come on with every start-up. I purchased the car with a deep discount knowing it had a VVT code that I fixed (Cleaned OCV's), and I assumed the VSC light was on due to the CEL.

The VSC light goes off after I start the car, and wait 30 seconds before putting the car in gear. If I put the car into reverse/drive while the light is on... it'll stay on the remainder of the trip. The CEL stays off, and I cannot pull any codes. Is there a way to diagnose the what's tripping the VSC light, or is this a known issue?

Hi. It was a few years back now but when I had just bought my 1998 the VSC ligth came on now and then after start. The battery was weak. I got the impression that the VSC light  reacted to short dipps in voltage. Never seen it since I changed to a new AGM battery with good performance three years ago. 

• Like 1