In Cabin Squeak/jingle Noise, Like An Angry Chipmunk!

I really hope you guys can help me out here. I have a 2006 RX400h that I love dearly. Unfortunately I may need to part with it because of a single noise. There is a persistant squeak/jingle happening inside the cabin, at least I believe it's inside. I believe it's in the back of the cabin, but I know that some sounds (sun roof frame) are deceiving.

For the most part, this noise happens in the morning and it's usually cold outside. It squeaks for my 20 minute drive to work, off an on. Usually the squeak match up to bumps or imperfections in the road. The odd thing is, the drive home at 5 is squeak normally.

I've exhausted all troubleshooting that I can think of. I've removed all items from the vehicle. Potentially noisy things like seat belts and the rear trunk cover have been isolated and eliminated as the source. The rear seats have been positioned at different angles in case they were the source. Different areas of the back have been covered with blankets to see if the sound could be covered or dampened.

Nothing has provided positive results. Please, if you have any insight or ideas, PLEASE help! I want to keep my RX for a long time. Just can't beat 31mpg in a SUV.

In my experience, it's probably the spare tire rubbing under the vehicle because it's loose (crank the screw that lowers it tightly into the up position), or it could be the tonneau cover locking latches are in the wrong position. They are the little levers at the back of the tonneau cover slots- snap them in the forward position (away from the rear door) or they will creak when driving. Let us know if this fixes it!

• Like 1

In my experience, it's probably the spare tire rubbing under the vehicle because it's loose (crank the screw that lowers it tightly into the up position), or it could be the tonneau cover locking latches are in the wrong position. They are the little levers at the back of the tonneau cover slots- snap them in the forward position (away from the rear door) or they will creak when driving. Let us know if this fixes it!

I did know about the cover latches, man those are loud when in the wrong spot.

I didn't know about the spare tire. I will give that a try and let you know.

Thanks!

By the way, that is excellent fuel mileage! With my heavy weekend foot, we still average 25-27 MPG. It still amazes me that a 4600 AWD vehicle that does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds can get that kind of mileage running mid grade gas.

By the way, that is excellent fuel mileage! With my heavy weekend foot, we still average 25-27 MPG. It still amazes me that a 4600 AWD vehicle that does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds can get that kind of mileage running mid grade gas.

It is excellent. This is why I must win the battle over the squeak! Ever since getting the RX400h in 2009, I've made the mpg practically a game. After awhile of "eco driving" practice it's easy to average 31mpg in the summer months and 24-27mpg in the winter months (Colordado). South Dakota winters were a bit more harsh, but still better than most small cars.

I think the wife and I are going out this today to see if we locate the noise source. I'll keep you updated!

Really consider using that stethoscope I suggested. We once looked all around the interior of my first Lexus trying to find an irritating buzz and couldn't find the source. We found the noise source quickly using a stethoscope -- a loose setting in a ring on my right hand!

Gosh your issue sounds exactly like an issue I have in my 2004 RX330! There is always a little rattling coming from the trunk area (I think it's towards the right tail light when I went back there to check) but sometimes, seemingly when it is colder out, it starts to squeak. It sounds just like yours! I am going to get one of those stethoscopes and try and figure it out. Going to follow this thread too if you find anything.