Parental Controls On Sat Radio

JDLBK

I have a 2007 es350. Satellite wasn't there when I bought the car so I bought a sirius xm tuner and had it installed at a stereo shop. It works well with the lexus radio and interface, but it seems parental controls are blocking many channels. I want to get them off so I can listen to Howard Stern, the Eminem channel etc. siriusxm doesn't know anything about the lexus menu system and I haven't been able to find them on my own.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How can I turn off parental controls?

Is it something different?

Hi Jess and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

Frankly, this is a new one to me. I've had 3 ES350's, all with satellite Lexus factory radio and didn't even know there was and IS such a thing as Parental Control!

You say SirusXM dosen't know anything about it. Thats dumb. They have to know about it. They are the ones that are streaming the programing to your receiver. The SAT receiver in your car is really no different than a car radio from years back. You turn it on and tune it to a station you want to listen to. Same with SAT radio, except your signal comes to your radio from up in the sky. Your receiver does not have ANY pre-programed material in it. I suggest contacting XM again and insisting you talk with a technian, not a sales rep.

Also, call Lexus Customer Care for some extra Calvary. I've put the link below. This has to go in the Clubs "It came from Outer Space" category and filed under "say what"????

Please come back and let us know how things are going.

Paul

That was a tech support person and amazingly not one in India! They actually pointed out that it could be a parental control problem. I get all the other channels, but Howard, and the other uncensored channels. Parental controls are a real thing on many sat products, but it's up to the individual car maker to have them in the menus. That's all sirius could come up with. I'm frustrated and at a loss.

"Parental lock" and "Parental level" are explained on page 212 in the 2007 ES350 navigation system manual. If you don't have one, you can view and search it on drivers.lexus.com There is no need to register to view the manuals online.

I've just checked my manual and page 2012 didn't have anything about parental control or lock. I'm now searching the website you mentioned. Does your manual have that info? If so, how can i access it in my es350?

I did find the part you referred to in the nav manual. Unfortunately this seems to be just for DVD video playback. I don't believe I have that option. I tried inserting DVDs but I didn't get anything as shown in the manual.

Still searching for answers.

• 2 weeks later...

My other question is if you have XM service or Sirius service. If you have XM service you have to pay extra for Howard and other stations. Perhaps you just don't get those stations on your account?

I seriously doubt an aftermarket tuner for this car has parental controls for satellite radio.