Stereo Problems

I am trying to install an Alpine CD player in my 92 Lexus ES300 and am having some problems. I got the dash kit and the wiring harness. Everything was pretty easy to install, but when I tried to test the stereo before putting everything back together it didn't work. The stereo powers on and the functions seem to work, but I don't get any sound. Is there a factory amp on the 92 that has to be disabled? I'd appreciate any help.

I am looking to install Alpine HU also. Did you install the speaker line to RCA converter? I think you need that to send the signal to the factory amp. What else did you install and how did you wire it?

Thanks Latoilette! I can't believe I overlooked that. I hooked up the amp wire and it works now. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate! :cheers:

The only thing I installed was the HU. I plan on adding some subs and an amp shortly. The HU was very easy to install. All I needed was the dash kit and the wiring harness. Other than the fact that I overlooked the amp wire everything was easy.

Where did you get the dash kit and wiring harness?

Which head unit did you install?

I'd like to do this, but interfacing with the factory amp is an issue. How did you get around it? Did you not bother with an amp interface? Did you just hook your speaker outputs directly to the factory wire harness? Or did you hook RCAs out of the head unit into the factory harness somehow?

Inquiring minds want to know. Physically, this looks like an easy install--if one can interface with the factory amp. I've not found out how to do that yet...

Crutchfield.com carries the installation kit for mounting the new radio and an item called a PAC OEM-2 that allows you to connect to the factory amp (see the links below). I'm just about to order my stuff from them, so I haven't used any of it yet; but I've heard nothing but good things about Crutchfield.

My question is where to get a wiring harness? That's the one item I can't get my hands on. If anyone knows, please share... I'm putting up a separate post about it since I don't know how many folks will find my question buried in this post.

Here's the info on the install kit and PAC OEM-2 (which I have also seen available elsewhere):

INSTALLATION KIT:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XtZDubru7ta/c...1&avf=Y&search=

PAC OEM-2:

Lets you connect an aftermarket radio to a common-ground speaker system • convert a factory radio's speaker-level outputs to preamp-level signal • add aftermarket amplifiers to factory premium systems (Bose • JBL • etc.) • connect an aftermarket radio to a factory amplifier

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XtZDubru7ta/c...1&avf=Y&search=

there is actually another place you can order all this from... or just go get it. i got all my stuff from best buy. the dash kit, wiring harness, rca 2-to-1 wires, and headunit from there. everything was installed perfect and is powerful through the stock amp and stock speakers.

it IS possible to use the amp. but if you really want a powerful system with new components and subs, etc. i would still recommend rewiring the entire thing with new wires straight to each component from the HU.

kev

there are a few things you can do.

but for starters, you can get a harness if you want to use the stock amp.

i got my installation kit and harness for 24.99 off ebay

you can install an aftermarket amp

or

you can use your headunit (aftermarket)'s to power your speakers...but you will have to get some new speakers.

ebay does have the stuff... but i got mine at best buy. or actually any audio store should have them. car toys is usually most places, so try there first, but you can order from crutchfield online as well. most everywhere carries the same Metra kit. it has the wierd grain to it that doesn't match the a/c control smoothness, but it's all good. it's a kit, and it works, so why not. :)

kev