Oil Pressure

Line Captain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Karen and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club. I apologize for us being so late in getting to your question. I have no excuse but to say please forgive.

Because your LX is so new there really isn't any "in use" history from which other members could say what exactly would be "Normal" oil pressure under normal driving conditions. The simplest way and most accurate and quickest way to find out, it to just pick up the phone and call the Service Advisors at your dealer. And if they don't know right away, they will ask their Master Mechanic. Every dealer has one. The Master Mechanic at my dealer has been there since 1989. The year the first Lexus was born!!!

Also, I'm not familiar with the LX -2014 manual, but does the Owners Manual cover any information about which gauge means what?

Come back and let us know how things turn out.

Paul

Thank you Paul. I appreciate your answer. Got in touch with my Lexus dealer`s service department, they told me all of their cars are checked out before delivery and I can be assured it was within their specs. My feeling is, a vehicle that dosent go over the quarter mark hot or cold is not something I have encountered before. Anyway Its under warranty and if things turn out bad, Its going to be their problem as I intend to put it in writing and get a recorded delivery letter out to them, Thanks again Line Captain

Hi there, mine also gets to 1/4th of the scale in all conditions - guess, this is normal and you should be concerned only if the level goes above this (which may happen e.g. in a traffic jam - when the truck cannot get enough outside air to cool its systems down). Don't forget, the recommended oil is 0W20 or 5W20. The former one is not so popular for some reason, but it was designed for fuel economy, I use this one - 0W20.

If your concern really is "when can I [safely for the engine] start driving having just started the car" - it's when the tachometer readings get stable and dont "jerk" (the readings really stabilize at 1,000 RPM or slightly above).

• 2 months later...

Typically oil pressure rises as the oil filter starts getting filled up with debris over time and reduces flow. Since your car is so new, there is relatively little resistance at the filter thus keeping the oil pressure low. If oil pressure suddenly drops however, that could indicate an oil leak or ruptured oil filter.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

The oil pressure reading on most oil pressure gauges will vary according to the oil's temperature. When you start the vehicle after it had been sitting overnight, for example, the gauge will read higher than after you have been driving (oil temperature is much higher) awhile. Engine RPM will also change the gauge reading - higher RPM = higher gauge reading. So compare cold and hot conditions when the engine is at idle speed and then again as a steady engine speed.