'00 Ls400, Turns Over, No Start, Battery Issues

MyPGAQuest

I have a 2000 Lexus LS 400 with about 125,000 miles on it. This past week, each morning when I go out to start the car, its dead - just clicks when I turn it over. Bring out the wifes car and jump it, and everything is back to normal until the next morning. Same thing for the next 4 days. And now, the battery is still dead but when I jump it, it just turns over but does not start. The battery is about 9 months old.

Any ideas of what to check and the order to check them in?

Thanks,

First verify that cable clamps and battery terminals are spotlessly clean - bright and shiny. Then have the battery checked. Next check to see if the starter is drawing excessive amps and that the alternator is OK. I have had all these issues cause similar problems ... most recently the starter.

What is most disturbing now is that your engine will not fire even when you jump it. So you are 'dead' in the water for the moment. I am 'afeared' that some electronic component was taken out during your jumping exercises but I sure hope not. You did not happen to perhaps reverse the polarity of the jumpers one time and see a few sparks?

Even though your battery is only 9 months old, it could still be bad. Cold weather and running them down is a sure recipe for sulfation and that's really tough on them.

Update -

I replaced the battery. I replaced the positive battery terminal (90982-05035 - updated model with a plastic piece to protect against corrosion). Now the car will turn over on its own. However, it will still not start.

The fuses are all good.

It's dark out here so I will check the plug wires tomorrow.

The dealership told me to hold down the gas pedal and turn the car on and see what happens. I did that, held the gas pedal down, turned the car over and held it over. It started for a split second and then immediately died. I did the same process again and it sounds like it wants to start but will not again.

So, it does sound gas related to me (a complete novice). I will check the wires tomorrow when I have more light. If not, it sounds like I'll have to have it towed unless there is something I missed.

Thanks again for all your help.

Todd, what wires do you intend to check? The 2000 LS400 does not have high voltage plug wires. It uses "Coil Over Plug" technology (basically a spark coil for each plug).

By telling you to hold down the gas pedal, it sounds like the dealership suspected that you had flooded the engine.

I would try spraying some starter fluid into the intake and see if the engine might come (briefly) to life.

Well I went back out today and tried to start it again. I held the pedal all the way down, turned the car over for about 7 seconds and it started. I drove it around for a while, 'gunning' it at times to try to clear out the fuel and went back home and parked it but left it running for about an hour. After the hour, I went back out, turned the car off and it restarted just fine. So, hopefully all is well but if not, I do have some more ideas I have yet to try.

Thanks again,