97 Es 300 - Somewhat Harsh Ride

I got 97 ES 300, 110k on it, bought used, one owner (physician) car. It has pretty stiff ride (for a Lexus). When the Toyota dealership serviced it they suggested that the strut seats are worn and should be replaced. Their suggestion was to replace the struts as well as long as they are taken out.

Now... I am the kind of guy who does not like to replace things just because it might be the right thing to do. I still have the original front struts in Camry, 88 with 288K on it.

Did anybody have similar problem? How was it resolved?

Also... the sticker on the door calls for the tire pressure of 26psi. Sounds low to me. What do you keep yours at?

I have noticed that the suspension on the 97-01 generation of ES300s tends to be more "sporty" (read tight/rigid) than the 92-96 models. It's been a while since I've had a loaner from Lexus, but if I recall the latest generation has a softer feel to the suspension as well.

I have never had the suspension in my 95 worked on and it is doing just fine.

I usually run @ 30 PSI in my tires. Obvoiusly the more PSI, the more you'll feel the road bumps.

Doesn't sound like you've ever owned a truck before?? Just kidding, but I do wonder about a stiff ride? I just did the struts in my 97' with KYB's, and it still isn't nearly stiff enough. They forgot to change the strut mounts while in there, and I have to go back because the noise is driving me crazy! They cost about 67$ a piece plus labor to install-though since they forgot will void the labor charge for me. So if you do it all at the same time, it will save you about $100. The strut replacement alone cost me $350. Still very worth it, even though not as stiff as I would like it.

Well.... I probably was not concise enough -- it is not that much stiffness of the ride as "feeling" every bump in the road type of ride. The car holds the turns fine, but when you go over the bump -- you certainly feel it. We drove few other ES 300s before and they were more refined.

So, the verdict is -- to change the strut mounts and skip the struts?

odessit-

Since you bought this car with 110K miles there is the possibility that the former owner(s) changed the original factory struts to aftermarket units. If that is the case then the dampening characteristics might be different then original factory struts, giving the car a stiffer ride. Just a thought.

Check what amf has suggested. Suprising to hear that your ride is pretty stiff when you don't have the avs suspention (my 01 has it). I put my tires at 32 psi as is suggested in my owners manual.

:cheers:

While your in getting the mounts done, you might as well do the struts. I have a feeling you'll be wishing you did. Mine has 110k on it too, and they were shot! It is much more refined than before. If you wait, you'll just have to have them tear it all apart again, and have another alignment done. May as well save the money?