Ls460 Ride And Feel

I recently traded my '04 LS430 for an '08 LS460. The ride, feel and quietness of the 460 does not compare with that for the 430. Have others noticed the same? The 460 came with new Nexen performance tires that had just terrible traction in the snow. Last week I purchased a set of Michelin Primacy tires that I also had on the 430 and the traction problem is solved. The Michelins also improved the ride and quietness but it is still not as good as the 430 was. I am wondering if there can be modifications to the suspension system to improve the ride & feel. Comments please.

Tom Monette

Lake Elmo, MN

Michelin Primacy tires are wonderful - I have them on my car - but they are no substitute for winter tires with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewalls. I store my Primacys in the winter and install heavy duty Blizzak snow tires on separate wheels.

Give your LS460 some time. I didn't care for the 2012 LS460L AWD with air suspension I test drove about two years ago but I could probably get used to it and maybe even like it if I gave it a chance. It was the floaty-est barge I've ever driven but some people must like them or they couldn't sell any.

Trying to modify your LS460 suspension with aftermarket parts is a losing proposition. I'll bet that in six months you will come to like it a lot.

Thanks for the input Guru. I considered snows but we are driving to AZ in Jan. so I would have take them off soon anyway. I also have two 70# sand tubes in the trunk and my traction is very good now for a RWD. Will be driving thru KS, staying first night in Wichita. I am planning to take Hwy 54 down to I40 or would we be better off going thru OK City?

Tom

Thanks for the input Guru. I considered snows but we are driving to AZ in Jan. so I would have take them off soon anyway. I also have two 70# sand tubes in the trunk and my traction is very good now for a RWD. Will be driving thru KS, staying first night in Wichita. I am planning to take Hwy 54 down to I40 or would we be better off going thru OK City?

Tom

I assume you are not new at this and know that there can be a whole lot of snow in northern Arizona in the winter. Flagstaff gets 100 inches of snow per year on average.

Hwy 54 is definitely faster and perhaps more scenic. That's the route we took a few years ago when we drove from Kansas City to Phoenix to close down parent's winter home and bring their fragile stuff back - but that was in a very warm July.

Watch the weather forecast. I've been stranded in western Kansas for as long as four days by a blizzard when driving to Colorado to go skiing and a number of other times by blizzards for as long as 1 1/2 days - and that was when a major Interstate highway (I-70) was closed. Ah, the good old days ... snow higher than the top of our motel room door in Oakley KS with the motel owners passing us sandwiches from an inner hallway through a little 12" square door put there for just such emergencies ... taking hours searching for a car buried under the snow.

Thanks Jeff, It's more road noise than wind noise and the new tires have made a big difference with that. A little ArmorAll on the door gaskets helps with any wind noise.

I'll be watching the weather closely and plan accordingly.

Jeff was referring to the TSIB about wind noise at the front side windows which I have attached.

I've read that the Armor All no longer contains petroleum distillates but I doubt that it is appropriate for using on door seals. Most people use a silicon based lubricant. I spray clear silicon on a paper towel and wipe the door and trunk seals a couple of times a year.

LS460 07-08 SWB Wind Noise from front side windows.pdf

I tried your link but was informed that I don't have permission to down load it.

I found that I had to try more than once to download the PDF and even had to click on resume when the download stalled. You might try doing a "save as". The PDF is rather large.

This is not something that can be downloaded. It is a thread in a web based forum, much like this forum, that can be viewed with most web browsers. I tried the link above and it works fine for me. If you have some genuine interest let me know and we will figure out some way to get you there.

This is not something that can be downloaded. It is a thread in a web based forum, much like this forum, that can be viewed with most web browsers. I tried the link above and it works fine for me. If you have some genuine interest let me know and we will figure out some way to get you there.

Odd. I did download the TSIB from a subscription service before I uploaded it to this forum. I've done that a lot of times though and others have been able to download what I uploaded to this forum.

I got it.Saved it in documents then attached it to an email to the dealer to see if it was done or if it can now be done under the Certified Warranty. Dealing with Lexus dealers is a whole different ball game so I need to get lucky.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Tom

I examined the triangular piece and the top point flexes in when pushed. If I don't get any satisfaction from the dealer then I was thinking I would try applying a small bead of clear silicone caulk around the perimeter of the piece. Does that sound like a possible solution?

First my vin # is prior to the production change. So I looked under the vehicle for the body plugs as per page 4. I found four round plastic plugs in place that are about 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter. I little further in and about 6 to 8 inches away from said plugs their are four elongated openings (about 3/4" x 1-1/4" in size) that do not have plugs. I assume that the body plugs in question are the prior and not the latter but I'm not sure. Any info on the plugs?

The plug deal is a red-hearing. I did that to mine, a 2007LS, with no noticeable change. Many others have reported the same results, no change. The only thing that has been effective over the past 7 years is the DIY trim repair and there have been many, many reports of success with that.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently traded my '04 LS430 for an '08 LS460. The ride, feel and quietness of the 460 does not compare with that for the 430. Have others noticed the same? The 460 came with new Nexen performance tires that had just terrible traction in the snow. Last week I purchased a set of Michelin Primacy tires that I also had on the 430 and the traction problem is solved. The Michelins also improved the ride and quietness but it is still not as good as the 430 was. I am wondering if there can be modifications to the suspension system to improve the ride & feel. Comments please.

Tom Monette

Lake Elmo, MN

To each it's own. I personally love the ride of my LS460 as it is ! I have not driven an LS460 with the air suspension to compare, but I definitely appreciate the ride difference between my LS versus the 535i (which isn't even a sport model!) which definitely lets you feel every single little bump on the road.