2007 Is250 Will Not Start

My 2007 IS 250 will not start.

There is no power at all on the car. I tested the battery with a volt meter 12.8 on the battery posts. I cleaned and reattached the terminals, I checked the voltage on the terminals and I'm also getting 12.75 there. The key fob will not unlock or lock doors. The lights under the side mirrors will not light up when the key fob is near the car. I replaced the battery in the key fob with a brand new battery (hopefully good). Fuses all appear to be good.

I pulled the car battery out and had it load tested. Battery checked out good.

Left the battery out for a couple of days and then put it back in. After a couple of days the power came back on in the car. Headlights and dashboard all powered up with the key fob inside the house.
The car wouldn't start and sounded like a low battery when attempting. I hooked up a battery charger and had power but no starting. I switched the battery charger to 50 amp boost for jump starting and the pressed the start button. The power completely died again like the original issue.

I had the car towed to Lexus dealer and after over 4 hours of diagnosis, they still can't tell me what is going on with the car. Don't want to have a $1,000 diagnostic bill and them shrugging their shoulders saying not sure what's going on.

Any suggestions?

Hi David and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

At this point it sounds like you've covered all of the usual suspects, and after 4 hours under the hood with no progress, It looks like your dealer has also run into a brick wall. I would urge you, before you go any further with the diagnostics to speak to the Service Manager, not just a Service Writer, and establish an aggreement on what, if anything, they think they should charge you for the work done so far. When they find the trouble and you decide wether your going to have the dealer do the work, or do it your self, or have an independant mechanic do it, then negotiate those charges as a seperate item.

If you decide to have the dealer do the repair, they shouldn't charge you anything for the diagnostic work.

Your problem could be a short in the starter, the fuse with the alternator, bad cables even though you already cleaned the terminals. Did you disconnect the cables at both ends?

Let us know how things are going.

Paul

• 1 year later...

Hi...I have exactly same problem with my is220d today .

Like the original poster said all the electrical went dead despite the battery is good. Recovery engineer tested all the fuse and tried to jump start but no luck. Another similar thing is after unplugging the battery terminals it briefly give power back but when I pushed start button, everything went dead again.

Since the post was never updated I m dying to know what happend after Lexus couldn't even figure out what happened to your car.

Could u please tell me as I feel hopeless with this situation.

• 11 months later...

Today my is250 wouldn't start and the brake pedal was extremely hard to press. After almost 10 min. of pressing the pedal and trying to push start it finally started. Does anyone know what the problem is? Also ABS, check VSC light is on. 

On 3/7/2016 at 1:16 AM, MsCurry said:

Today my is250 wouldn't start and the brake pedal was extremely hard to press. After almost 10 min. of pressing the pedal and trying to push start it finally started. Does anyone know what the problem is? Also ABS, check VSC light is on. 

You need to get it plugged into diagnostics really. Sounds like an electrical issue - the battery is the first thing to check. Was it slow when it started?

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem hard brake pedal and no start with my 07 IS250. Had the car jumped and it started right up. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find any trouble codes and had no idea why this happened. The ABS and VSC lights were on and the dealer cleared them. Hopefully someone will find out what is going on.

Sorry folks, I thought that I had posted the resolution to my issue years ago.  Turns out that the issue was a bad ground in the electrical system.  I don't remember where exactly, but the manager wanted to get to the bottom of this problem and got it fixed.