Rx300 Oil Consumption Issues

Gutie050

Hi,

New to the forum. Have used the forum to read about things before and decided to sign up. Anyways, my girlfriend has a 2002 RX300. She's had it for a bit over a year and is having some pretty bad oil consumption issues. Around a qt every time she fills up with gas.

What I've done so far:

-Replaced PCV valve

-Switched over to Pennzoil platinum synthetic

These haven't helped the oil burn at all. I've never an exhaust smoke and I dont see any leaks. It seems to run well besides the oil consumption it has right about 120k. It sounds like a lot of people have had good success with replacing the rear valve cover. Before we do that is there anything else I should check into? It sounds like I should check the PCV breather hose and make sure that it isn't clogged up. Is there anything in particular to do to test compression on the car? I've compression tested a ton of jetskis and small engines but never done one on a car. Anyone have a quick how to or procedure? Mainly just concerned about the electrical system.

Thanks,

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

I have a '99 RX300 with 159,000 miles. I've had really excessive oil consumption issues for a long long time. I went to AutoRX this past summer, did the initial process and changed the PCV ( which was REALLY clogged ). Power improved, and at the 1st oil change ( I changed the PCV again ), I saw a lot of sludge draining out with a lot less oil discoloration on the stick after. I'm due for my maintenance phase with AutoRX and as soon as the outside temp gets above 15 I'll do it, but I still am burning a quart of oil on any trip of 200 miles! I'm using Castrol GTX 5W 30 non-synthetic. My mechanic says the sludge removal can cause higher consumption and suggested going to 10W 30. Does anyone have any thoughts on why I'm continuing to have such high comsumption?

• 2 months later...

Just an update. Crawled under the car and saw a lot of oil leaking. Took it in and the rear valve cover gasket was leaking pretty badly. Had the valve gasket replaced and oil consumption seems better. Not 100% sure if its fixed yet as it doesnt get driven a ton. Hoping that it fixed it. Just got an oil change and added some mmo to the oil. Will run it for 1500-2000 miles and then change it again. Hopefully will clean it out a bit.

I have a '99 RX300 with 159,000 miles. I've had really excessive oil consumption issues for a long long time. I went to AutoRX this past summer, did the initial process and changed the PCV ( which was REALLY clogged ). Power improved, and at the 1st oil change ( I changed the PCV again ), I saw a lot of sludge draining out with a lot less oil discoloration on the stick after. I'm due for my maintenance phase with AutoRX and as soon as the outside temp gets above 15 I'll do it, but I still am burning a quart of oil on any trip of 200 miles! I'm using Castrol GTX 5W 30 non-synthetic. My mechanic says the sludge removal can cause higher consumption and suggested going to 10W 30. Does anyone have any thoughts on why I'm continuing to have such high comsumption?

I would try 0-30 Castrol Oil European blend full synthetic. I found this oil extremely good, it even cleaned the crust under the oil fill cap. The Oil says specifically made in Germany....Autozone has it at times.