Disable Rain Sensing Wipers On '09 Rx 350

Can someone tell me how (if posible at all) to disable the rain sensing feature on an '09 RX 350. I don't want to know how to adjust the sensitivity etc..... just how to disable the above feature and revert to a traditional manually adjusted intermittent wiper operation....thanks

I disabled mine my disconnecting the plug to the rain sensor in front of the rearview mirror. It then reverts back to normal intermittent where you control the speed instead of sensitivity.

I also disabled the annoying headlight washers that come on when you wash the window with the headlights on, by simply pulling the fuse under the hood. Not sure if there is a fuse specifically for the rain sensor though.

I disabled mine my disconnecting the plug to the rain sensor in front of the rearview mirror. It then reverts back to normal intermittent where you control the speed instead of sensitivity.

I also disabled the annoying headlight washers that come on when you wash the window with the headlights on, by simply pulling the fuse under the hood. Not sure if there is a fuse specifically for the rain sensor though.

Thanks... It looks like there's a plastic cover with a notch in the side (indicating that it can be pryed off) and theres also a torx head bolt on the same plastic cover. Does the cover pry off or does the torx head bolt have to removed ? It looks like the torx head bolt is what keeps the rear view mirror mounted....any way, I just don't want to break anything....thanks

I agree with Gary - the auto-sensing is only active on one position on the stalk. Why disconnect/disable something when you can select it by the stalk position?

It doesn't sound like you have this feature on your car. The auto sensing position on the stalk takes the ability to manually select the intermittent wiper time interval out of the drivers control. While some people seem happy with the auto sensing feature, my research shows that many people (including myself) feel the system has a mind of it's own and there's no rhyme or reason as to when the wipers actually swipe across the windshield.......I simply want to control the intermittent interval pretty much as I have done on every vehicle I've owned since 1975 !!

We absolutely DO have that feature on hers...IIRC, it's either all the way up or the 2nd position from all the way up on the stalk, and ours ALSO has a mind of its own! Do you not have that AND the intermittent function? Hers does.

The way it worked on my RX400h, before I disabled it, was the setting knob only adjusted the sensitivity of the rain sensor - there was no full manual intermittent mode at any switch position. All four switch positions were auto rain-sensing. It didn't work well with misty rain at any position.

• 2 weeks later...

The way it worked on my RX400h, before I disabled it, was the setting knob only adjusted the sensitivity of the rain sensor - there was no full manual intermittent mode at any switch position. All four switch positions were auto rain-sensing. It didn't work well with misty rain at any position.

Seems like a clever person could wire in a mini-switch that would open the sensor wiring, then mount the switch on the housing in a position where the switch body would clear the sensor. Position 1 auto wipers; position 2 interval wipers. I'm happy with auto wipers, though they do get fits every now and then. Seems to help to have water beading stuff on your windshield

Can someone tell me how (if posible at all) to disable the rain sensing feature on an '09 RX 350. I don't want to know how to adjust the sensitivity etc..... just how to disable the above feature and revert to a traditional manually adjusted intermittent wiper operation....thanks

Following up on my original post & Mason's info below.....the plastic cover behind the rear view mirror has a notch on the forward end of it ..........slide this forward and it will release the cover..... the cover contains the rain sensing unit (in my case a malfunctioning one !) There's a white connector that you can unplug and this disables the rain sensing feature and you now have a traditional intermittent option on your wipers....The fastest speed swipes at approx a 5 second interval and the slowest about 12 seconds.