How Many Miles Does Your Ls400 Have?

88anthonyd

• 4 months later...

Don't qualify for this one, but might well do at the other end of the scale for my 1991 LS400 (first reg'd March 1992) my reading is 105,000km, which is 65,500 miles. This enginec is just the same as the day I bought it in March 1992, 22 years ago, I kid you not. The interior is just like new, Have had a minor problem with the roof lining caused by blocked drain lines in sun-roof area. The lining is not spoilt, but cannot find anyone who knows how to clean out the rear drain lines, the front lines are asy by comparison. The only other problem I have EVER had, is the PS idler valve. This leaked for awhile causing a massive amount of smoke to be emitted on start up. Replaced idler valve but did not bother with connecting it back into the PS. PS feels NO different, even getting out of tight spots. Otherwise, this LS400 is like the day I drove it out of the showroom..

Yes, I am the original owner which probably explains some of the non-longevity features of its appearance and its sound engineering condition. Thought of upgrading and/or changing to something else, but never saw anything that didn't put me behind the 8 - ball, either financially or lack of classy features. The vehicle cost AUD115,000 (USD107,500) in 1992, which is nthe equivalent of AUD191,000 in 2014. The current 2nd hand value of a good 1992 LS400 is between AUD7,000 and AUD9,000, and there isn't a vehicle that comes close to it for power and features. The current price for a 2014 LS460 is around AUD185,000 (USD196,000). Since I do fewer KM's now than I ever have (as you can see 105,000km in 22 years) there is absolutely no justification to change models. The is the odd dent and scratch , but the incredible '91 paintwork still looks like new after a wash and wax. Currentl sorting out a bit of a hiccup with the radio/amp, not a big deal. Will take some pics soon and post them.

You should be able to move the trim that holds the headliner to at least see the rear sunroof drain tubes. The only way to see the actual rear drain holes is to remove the headliner.

Thank you for that, but as I do not wish to (as a novice mechanic) disturb the headliner etc, I need to find an alternative method. A garage once suggested to me that the only other way of clearing the rear drain lines, would be coming up from the bottom with a flexible cleaning rod, does that sound feasible to you?

If you pull the trunk carpeting on the sides of the trunk you will see the drain tubes also. Then you can formulate a plan to come at it from the bottom.

• 2 months later...

Good a place to put this as any, I guess. Just got my '99 LS 400 and it had 171K miles on it. Drives like new. But as I am a truck driver and spend 99% of my time in my truck, I doubt it will break 180K any time soon. Never had such a nice "beater" before.

Billy, does your black 99 have the dark grey trim on the outside and bumper. I was wondering what color that was so I could match it with a plastidip color for my stock wheels. Don't know if anthracite or charcoal grey would be best.

First post...

I have a 2007 rx400h with 432k...I am the original owner and I know I will get at least 500 to 600k from that car. No major issues...Just well maintained.

Because of that car, I bought my wife a 2013 gs450h and I bought myself a 2013 ls 460 f sport....Amazing cars that never let you down...

The RX will get its 10th windshield on Monday...I'm on my 8th set of tires...

Regards,

Marc

That is amazing, Marc! Being a hybrid, how many batteries did you go through?

Welcome to LOC!

Randall.

First and only battery...The inverter was replaced but that was a recall. After about 300k, I needed to replace the radiator due to wear...Parts wear out....

Regards,

Marc

PS...Waiting to see the LFF when it comes out...If it comes out...

Just 161k on my 99. Black with a charcoal bottom cladding, similar to Mr. Powell's. I took my family to Disney World, round trip 2500 miles or so, including a detour of a few days to the beach. Mechanically, the car performed flawlessly. My only issues were during the humidity of Orlando, the speedo and rpm gauges stuck in the home position. I've researched how to fix this, and it doesn't seem that hard, just time consuming. The other issue was during a prolonged heavy rain storm, the low windshield wiper fluid warning came on. That was annoying. However, once we got back less humid areas, the gauges began working every time without a whack on top of the dash, and the false low wiper fluid warning went away.

Overall, without those niggles, it was an uneventful trip in the LS. That car was made for cross country trips. After our vacation, it seems like a waste just to take it down the street to the grocery store! :)

Mine will get more mileage during the winter time. Right now, it's a lot of fun to run my motorcycle around.

Micah