Headlight Condensation Warranty

I got a letter from Lexus yesterday that describes an extended warranty for subject issue. A new primary warranty on my car's headlights will extend to 10/31/2015 regardless of mileage. Cosmetic damage will be covered as well as failure from moisture. Reimbursement for prior moisture related headlight repairs will be covered.

My car is a 2005 purchased about 6 months ago. I sent the form in the back of the supplement manual to Lexus to register my vehicle.

Looks like good news for a lot of forum members!

• Like 1

Does this letter give any identification details we could all "look up" to find out more? A lot of us pre-owned owners won't get a letter.

There is this: http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/05/25/Toyota.pdf

Apparently Toyota is being dragged kicking and screaming into this fix.

I was not able to find anything detailing this enhanced warranty except for the letter I received. There are registration forms in the rear of the supplemental service/warranty booklet for a new owner to register their car with Lexus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just took my '08 400h in w/ the warranty notice, and tho there has been visible moisture in the fron passenger headlight (vs. driver's side w/ zero moisture in the lens), the service advisor said a manager would have to approve it ...? Any thoughts on escalation if this 'manager' does not approve it? thanks vm

• 1 month later...

Last week Lexus of Orlando replaced for free my driver's side bulb and ballast which were inoperable because of the condensation, and the passenger side bulb (no condensation problem there, but I think replacement so the brightness would match the driver's side headlight) on my 2005 RX 330 with 114000 miles. I have not yet received the letter, but Lexus of Orlando was aware of it and talked to corporate Lexus about it. Took about two weeks. My understanding is that the bulb and/or ballast have to be inoperable because of the condendsation. Condensation alone is not sufficient, at least for expedited repair.

Lexus of Orlando intervened on my behalf, so kudos to them and to corporate Lexus for their agreement. I'll remember their goodwill when deciding on my next car.

• 4 months later...

Does this letter give any identification details we could all "look up" to find out more? A lot of us pre-owned owners won't get a letter.

There is this: http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/05/25/Toyota.pdf

Apparently Toyota is being dragged kicking and screaming into this fix.

I was not able to find anything detailing this enhanced warranty except for the letter I received. There are registration forms in the rear of the supplemental service/warranty booklet for a new owner to register their car with Lexus.

I know I'm late on this, but that link doesn't work for me. Do you have any more info on this that I can take to a dealer?

I have am 07 RX350 I just bought used and am noticing it is having this issue. Thank You!

• 1 month later...

Took my 04 RX into the Lexus dealership today after finding out last night that both HID headlights were inoperable. My spouse normally drives this vehicle and had been driving the car in the dark with only DRL's and fog lights for who knows how long!!!! No clue the headlights were even out. Upon mentioning the headlights, I find out "We got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago about the headlights". The inside of the lens have very heavy condensation.

Initially, I was told the cost would be covered completely by Lexus.Then upon the service writer returning to have me sign paperwork, I was informed that Lexus WOULD NOT cover the cost of new HID bulbs which will be around $180/ each, I need two of course. I questioned why Lexus wouldn't cover the bulbs as well since their components had poor construction to allow the moisture to remain inside ultimately leading to them failing. SW had no clue. I came home and called Lexus Customer Service and spoke with Liz. She had to update all my information, I purchased this vehicle new at this dealership. She will "elevate my claim to a superior and let me know something". I suppose this won't help me tomorrow when I have to shell out $400.00 for headlight bulbs!! They cared enough about me to mention that they would give me a loaner Lexus because the "lights out" situation created a safety hazard, I'm sure this was just a cya move to prevent liability. Any advice? Anyone get them to cover bulb cost as well?

TIA

Similar thing just happened to me and was also quoted $180 per bulb after Lexus agreeing to cover everything else

You can read about it here: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-generation/722486-letter-from-lexus-headlight-condensation-7.html#post8808813

So I said "F-That" and went to Amazon and ordered OEM Bulbs for under $40 + free shipping each

Philips 85122 OEM 4300K D2S
Good Luck!

• 2 months later...

I just took my 05 LX 330 for condensation in drivers side headlight assembly to Freeman Lexus in Santa Rosa CA. The service manager told me it was covered by an extended warranty. They even offered me a loaner car. Very friendly and professional. I know where I'm going for my next car.

• 1 month later...

I bought a 2007 rx350, 61,000 miles, Crystal White, for my wife for Christmas. Had to replace the 1999 rx300 270.000 miles tranny going out.

before I bought it I checked this site for problems for this model and year. The headlight assembly was the major issue. I learned that Lexus has issued the replacement warranty. Bought the car for $15,000.

Washed the car which caused the drivers headlight to condensate. I took it to Lexus of Austin. They replaced both headlight assembly's. Also fixed a couple of minor issues for FREE!!!! Of course they gave my wife a 2015 rx450 hybrid for a loaner car. Nice ride just under powered.

Love Lexus of Austin. I have been dealing with them for 13 years. Always HAPPY!!

• 2 years later...

Just dropped my 2008 RX 400H of at the dealer for soggy headlight replacement.  The service writer didn't believe it was covered so he looked it up. It's still covered under the "warranty enhancement program".   It's 9 years from the first day it was put in service.  That covers me and hopefully some others who haven't looked at this thread in a long time. Good luck!

• Like 1

Just had my '08 RX350 in for service and asked them to check the driver's side headlight that just went out a few days ago (obviously due to the condensation that just started after a huge rain not long ago). My service rep just called letting me know it would be $2557 to replace the headlight assembly! He said that "warranty enhancement program" ended in October 2015 and the previous owner would have gotten the notice. But I'm reading that unless the assembly had failed, Lexus was not just replacing the headlamps completely anyway.
Now they're saying that they will not replace this. Is there another step I can take to make them replace this obviously defective $2500 headlamp? This is my third Lexus and I've never had trouble like this with Lexus.
Very frustrated!!!  

Cate's RX - Ask your service rep to show you the related service bulletin - my guy also told me it had expired.  I had already called Lexus and they checked my VIN and said it was still covered.  If you aren't sure call Lexus and ask them. The actual bulletin, read right in front of me, says it's covered 9 years from 1st day of service.  That should be your determining factor. Mine was covered.  But they didn't have the part and I'm still driving their loaner car.  I will pick it up tomorrow and I guess I'll find out if they try to spring something on me. Good luck.

Picked up my 08 RX 400H after the repair and no charge folks.  All covered by the extended "Warranty enhancement" program.  See the attached receipt - with all 0's

Plaza Lexus receipt.jpg

• 4 years later...

I have to polish ours every 3-4 years or so. The headlight lenses will never look brand new but they are much clearer than they were. If you have the condensation issue (We have not) then you'd see droplets of water and maybe fog that is on the inside. Of course, wiping your fingers over the outside surface would not change anything.

You might want to get a polishing kit and try it out. I'm reasonably sure that your headlight covers will look much better.