94 Ls400 Oil Change Flush

88anthonyd

I have a 94ls400 226k and I need advice on how the best way and best products to use in flushing the gunk out of engine and best oil to use.

I'm with Landar. With 226,000 miles on it, flusing the engine could give you more problems then you ever thought possible. Loss of compression, crank shaft and connecting rod bearings, etc. Unless over the life of the engine enough maintenance has been done to keep everything nice and tight. New plugs when time is right, New rings, water pump. Have you thought about wether the transmission has ever been flushed.

It's not that you can't do these things, but a well informed maintenance record can help.

PJ

Unless you put it on a dyno, how do you know what HP you are getting? With 226k miles on the clock, you probably are not getting the factory rated HP but so what? It is not a hot rod and if you can accelerate reasonably well, count your blessings. You may not have the compression that the engine had when new but thats understandable given the mileage.

Lucas in the gas tank is not a problem. You probably just flushed the price of a bottle of Lucas down the drain but thats ok.

Now, at the mileage you have, your cats could be getting clogged, valves could be worn, piston rings worn, etc. There are a number of things that could reduce your engines output but it most likely would take some serious money to get the original ratings back. Not worth the cost, IMO. I would just continue the maintenance and live with it.

Unless you put it on a dyno, how do you know what HP you are getting? With 226k miles on the clock, you probably are not getting the factory rated HP but so what? It is not a hot rod and if you can accelerate reasonably well, count your blessings. You may not have the compression that the engine had when new but thats understandable given the mileage.

Lucas in the gas tank is not a problem. You probably just flushed the price of a bottle of Lucas down the drain but thats ok.

Now, at the mileage you have, your cats could be getting clogged, valves could be worn, piston rings worn, etc. There are a number of things that could reduce your engines output but it most likely would take some serious money to get the original ratings back. Not worth the cost, IMO. I would just continue the maintenance and live with it.

Ditto!! Your going to start chasing your tail, spending more than the old girl is worth.

Ok, so the plot thickens. You should not have white smoke nor much of a gas smell. Now I am beginning to wonder if one of your two ignition coils has, or is going bad. White smoke usually indicates a blown head gasket yet is rare on an LS400.

Does the engine seem to be running pretty rough? Can you look underneath and see the catalytic converters(at night) and determine if one looks to be glowing red hot after the car is up to operating temperature?

My next question is it feels like I'm not getting the full 250 hp. What are things I can do to improve hp?

If I were you, I would simply replace electrolytic capacitors in the ECU first. You can find the detail here below.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/656360-all-my-crazy-lexus-issues-solved-ecu-leaking-capacitor.html

I'm begining to think your pulling our legs here. With each of your postings there's another problem, and then another. LOL I admire people such as your self who are able to repair their own cars and other technical products. Howerever, there comes a point where all the knowledge you can muster cannot over come the fact that your just throwing good money into a bottomless pit.

Given the money you have already gone through in trying to resolve your many problems, and with 226,000 miles of wear on the car,it seems pretty obvious that this trend is not going to continue getting better.

Since I'm not a big DIY'er, I would strongly suggest upgrading your present car to a Lexus with lower miles and a set of good service records. Given the $1000.00 you gave the dealer, the "cats" to be replaced, the long list of crtical parts that do now or will need to be replaced, and the cost of your time and labor as well as any wages you may end up needing to pay when you can't do it by yourself.

You could easily spend enough that could be used instesd for an excellent down payment on a newer, lower mileager Lexus. Landar has given you some good advice. I would suggest taking some time to run the numbers and see what you think.

Paul