Cracked Dashboard

Maybe some silicone sealant, or a leather/vinyl repair kit that matches the color?

Make sure to use a UV protectant such as 303 Aerospace Protectant on it regularly (and all the other plastic/rubber outside the car) to keep from getting further sun damage. Park in a garage or carport when possible, and if you have to, use a sunshade in the windshield.

You could get one of those carpet looking dash covers from an accessory dealer. If you try for a repair, you might check if someone in your area has professional experience in this sort of thing. Or shop for a new dash on line and install it yourself.

303 is the best protectant I've used.

Check "dash repair"," Cracked dash", or any iteration of your problem on an internet search and you'll get an information overload. Likely you will be disuaded from doing a repair yourself.

The dealer would simply order a new dash (yes, the entire dash; not simply the vinyl covering) and replace it. There's no way to re-finish the dash... Once the vinyl covering (poorly designed) begins to crack, any and all fillers/coatings would fail to prevent future cracks. Not to mention you'd always see the cracks no matter what fillers/coatings they use.

The entire dash is very expensive... Not to mention a PIA to remove.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 2008 RX 350 with small cracks throughout the dashboard. From following this site and others, this is a common problem. Like most of you, I used only Lexus approved protectants on the dashboard - which failed to prevent my current problem. Every Lexus owner I know has the same issue. Why hasn't Lexus offered a recall and replacement of this problem? It permeates every model from 2002 to 2012 and, likely, even newer models. This car is too expensive to have this problem!

I'm not the original owner, but have used a dashboard cover extensively, since I live in Florida. However, I think the damage must have started prior to my owning the car...

Testimonials as to the value of using a dashboard cover are already known to me. Am interested in replacement options only. Not sure about the "carpet covers" since I haven't seen one. Am thinking, from the replies seen about this topic, that a salvage yard may offer a viable solution.

Thanks!

A windshield cover, dash cover or full-blown car covers are your best bets to prevent this from happening in the first place. Our RX sees lots of sun but we use a windshield shade, every day. After 10 years there is not a single crack in the dash.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...