Battery Problem

Hites

just checked on my sc and the battery was dead. the batterys about 4 months old and i havent driven my sc in about 3 months. battery took a charge and its back to life, but does my sc have something sucking the power out of the battery?

Your security system will drain it over time if you do not start it periodically. Even if the car is in storage, you should at least start it and let it run to warm up, maybe drive it around the neighborhood once a month or so. Even in the winter, I will idle my car for a half hour. Take it out for a small top off of gas and excersize.

Whether the battery has a drain on it or not, it will still discharge over time. By letting your battery completely drain, you may have shortened its life. When a battery is dead, the plates will sulfate and lose their ability to accept a charge. The fact that it was in the car still, will cause it to drain faster. Small things in the car are always pulling energy from the battery. Clock, computers etc. Most likely, nothing is wrong with your car, but you never know. If you are going to let it sit for such long periods, I would suggest a "Battery Tender". This will charge your battery outright and then continuely keep it charged over time. You leave it hooked up all the time. They cost around $40 to $50 bucks. Good luck.

The alarm, trunk CD changer, remote locking system and clock will drain your battery. If you store your car in a locked garage you can turn off the remote activation switch by the hood release and keep the car unlocked with the alarm off. For longer periods of storage the battery tender is a good idea. Make sure you get one that won't overcharge and has an automatic shut off with a trickle charge option like the schumacher.

One thing you can do if the car is going to sit for a while is to disconnect the battery - as Marty stated, unless the battery is made for being fully discharged (a 'Marine' type) it will lose its ability to hold a charge. You can get a Marine type for your car if you think this will help.

thank god! i was wanting so much to not have to locate something unknown sucking too much energy from the battery. i havent driven it in a long time because the power steering pump needs replaced, ive been trying to sell my teg (which is now sold :D), and i had another spare car ive been driving. thank you all for your help.