Retractable Rear Window Shade?

ayan

According to the local Lexus dealer parts department manager, who has been in this position since the beginning in 1989, the retractable shade was dropped from the Lexus accessory catalog in the early 90's. I thought was a really nice addition and a lot of people who rode in my old LS said they appreciated in on hot summer days. "Foor door" tried all over the place to find one recently. This issue was discussed in one or two topics last year - the most recent one has a photo I took of the shade ...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&hl=retractable

1990ls400 I'm still interested in finding one of the OEM Lexus rear window shades for my '92 LS400. Got distracted with upgrading my OEM Pioneer audio system to OEM Nakamichi system with cd changer. Thought about having the rear window tinted but prefer the rear window shade. Tried contacting a USA seller of JDM Lexus parts but so far no reply. Accidently ran across someone who knows a GI in Japan that owns a LS400, might see if the GI can track the shades down, the Japanaese version of the LS400 had a number of accessories that were not offered in the US models, power retractable mirrors etc. Important reason for the shade is keeping the top of the rear seat leather from being cooked and also protect the subwoofer from the sun/heat. I have a 90-94 Lexus parts book and couldn't find the shade listed, part #86195 83001. Four Door.

Hey "Four door"!

Congrats on getting the Nak/CD installed.

The rear window tint really has worked out very well although I think ended up having a non-metalic tint installed in the rear window to be sure of not interfering with the radio and cell phone antennas imprinted on the 2000 LS rear window. Another issue of tinting the rear window is that it interferes a little with the auto-dimming of the inside and door rear view mirrors. I think the 98 was the 1st year to have the antennas in the rear window but I do not know when the auto dimming mirrors were first installed.

An issue with installing a Lexus retractable shade, if you can find one, is that the installer used a special large plastic template, that spanned the width of the car, to perfectly position the three retainer clips that attached (after drilling holes) to the headliner. Because of the curvature of the top of the rear window, it would likely be difficult to correctly position the clips without the template - the middle clip forced the shade rear-ward to match the shade's curavature to the window curvature and to keep it off the head of the passenger in the center of the rear seat.

Having had both, I think I prefer having the rear window tint over the hastle of having a manual rear shade that I sometimes had to lower at night. It would be a different story though if an electric rear shade was available.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks to 1990LS400 I finally have a rare LS400 rear window shade (brown) to match my '92 LS400 tan interior. It only came with the two side clips but I think I can fashion a clip for the center. After looking it over and reading about the plastic template I will try to fashion some type of template of my own to properly align the shade and clips. Also the pictures will be helpful when installing the shade. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for all your help, Four Door (Rich). ['92 LS400 sandstone beige 119,000 miles and running strong].