Just drove home a 2014 is 250 which is an outstanding car. I have tried to follow the manuals in setting up things but I want to see my ipod music information on the gps screen. I can start the car and my ipod information shows up on the screen then in just a few seconds later it switches back to gps. I can't figure out how to fix things the way I want it.

Also is there a way to split the gps screen to show gps on the left side and my ipod music on the right side?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. I am not very computer literate.

Computer literacy wouldn't help. Computer lunacy is more like what is needed. Wouldn't have been nice if Toyota had picked Apple or Google to design user interfaces instead of a subsidiary of RIM/Blackberry?

The screen can be split up to three ways - start on page 38 of the following navigation manual section: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/omnav/OM53B22U/pdf/02-1.pdf

Here is a direct link to the Manuals and Resources section of the Lexus website - often easier to find by searching the manuals online instead of looking at the hard copy manuals: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/resources/submit-owners-manual-search#

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I will agree that the user interface is not very well thought out. I even took my IS350 back to the dealer and had their tech guy sit in the car with me and go over a few things. It was enlightening to him to see it through a users eyes. One of my biggest peeves is when you select music source from the menu screen. It should take you to a menu of the sources available and let you choose which one you want. It does do this, but at the same time automatically switches to the next available source whether you want it to or not. It's just the state of these devices, car makers need to let the interface pros (Apple, Google, Android, etc) handle this part. Personally, I'd rather them not do anything, and just provide me with a second screen for my iPhone, it already does everything I need it to do and much more efficiently!

I will agree that the user interface is not very well thought out. I even took my IS350 back to the dealer and had their tech guy sit in the car with me and go over a few things. It was enlightening to him to see it through a users eyes. One of my biggest peeves is when you select music source from the menu screen. It should take you to a menu of the sources available and let you choose which one you want. It does do this, but at the same time automatically switches to the next available source whether you want it to or not. It's just the state of these devices, car makers need to let the interface pros (Apple, Google, Android, etc) handle this part. Personally, I'd rather them not do anything, and just provide me with a second screen for my iPhone, it already does everything I need it to do and much more efficiently!

I feel your pain....lol

This new edition of the Navigation/Infotainment system is "dog dodo". It is cumbersome, not at all intuitive, and a potential car wreck waiting to happen.

IMO, you should be able to access, operate,and select your preferances with a miniscule amount of time with your eyes of the road. Even with the use of the mouse, when you are driving in freeway traffic, dicking around with the mouse and trying to line up a particular target while trying to keep your eyes on traffic is not my idea of a "User Friendly" package.

It reminds me of the old saw, "A Zebra is a horse that was designed by a committee". Whom ever Lexus chose for this design must have been told to use the concept of the New Coke Campaign.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I feel your pain....lol

This new edition of the Navigation/Infotainment system is "dog dodo". It is cumbersome, not at all intuitive, and a potential car wreck waiting to happen.

IMO, you should be able to access, operate,and select your preferances with a miniscule amount of time with your eyes of the road. Even with the use of the mouse, when you are driving in freeway traffic, dicking around with the mouse and trying to line up a particular target while trying to keep your eyes on traffic is not my idea of a "User Friendly" package.

It reminds me of the old saw, "A Zebra is a horse that was designed by a committee". Whom ever Lexus chose for this design must have been told to use the concept of the New Coke Campaign.

Paul

I don't know if the OP got his question answered, but in case he didn't, there is a way to change the default nav screen from coming up each time you start the car (under settings, turn auto screen off). Interestingly, in the US market, it's impossible to configure your system to have the "home" screen come up when you start your car. Why call it "home" if you can't default to that screen?

As for the 3IS nav/infotainment system, let's just say that the Lexus halo is tarnished. There are at least three threads in the Club Lexus forum that document persistent problems with the nav and audio system that Lexus has yet to address successfully. It's the weak link in an otherwise well executed car.