Window Regulator

stroker

Hi all!! Today when I opened my driver side window it stopped about 2 inches down and then wouldn't go up or down.. Checked the fuses and connections and all OK.. Need help as to how to remove the regulator and motor to replace it...All other windows work just fine..I'm hoping there are a couple of tricks someone might know to make it a little easier...Thanks in advance....Bobby 1991 LS 400

Edited by stroker

A couple of things that I would try before going further, Bobby. With a helper pressing the up button and you grasping the window pane on both sides, see if you can 'help' it go up. It might go back in place so that you can drive it.

And as for clues as to what might be wrong, watch an interior light as you push the button and note whether it seems to dim slightly when you press the button. If so, that indicates that the motor is drawing current. Also, do you hear any clicking or grinding noises when you attempt to move the window?

Thanks landar for your quick reply...I tried the switch and watched an interior light and it does dim slightly but I dont hear any click or grinding so the motor is drawing power.. If I have to replace it, is it a major endeavor ? I'll try tonight with a friend helping using the switch and lifting the glass on both sides... Thanks, Bobby

I tried pushing the glass up with the help of a friend using the up switch and nothing..on the old posts about this problem, they make mention of resetting the limit switch ? How is this done and where is this switch...it seems that every problem anyone has had with this, the window stops about the same distance from being closed...roughly 2 to 3 inches... Bobby

I am not sure about the limit switch but in any case, it sounds like you are going to have to take the door panel off and start investigating. On the ones where the limit switch is the culprit, I believe the window will go all the way down, which is not your case. So do not put too much stock in that being the problem. Could be that your motor is kaput or mechanism is bound up. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/fdoorpanel.html