Transmission Trouble-'99 Rx300

nb7275

ohoh! Day before yesterday, driving home from work, I noticed that the transmission was not shifting up into the overdrive. So, at 50 mph the tach was at 4000rpm. Next day, the first shift went ok, but as I drove, slowed down or had to stop at a light, getting back up to speed, the non-shifting happened again. Took it to the Firestone shop (they've done all the work on this car and know it and me very well) and they took it next door to Amco Transmission. I had a transmission flush last November, but they said the fluid is running very dark. I have 123,000 miles (approx) on it, bought it used and still paying on it. What am I looking at here? I can't NOT get it fixed, but I'm thinking I need to try to sell it, pay off the rest of the loan and get another car? I'm not wealthy by any means and will have to put any repairs on a credit card. Also, the MAS went bad last week (coded PO171), so that has to be replaced also. The tech also said the computer was coding a 'knock sensor', which to replace that (2 + labor) is about $1200. Aaarrrggh!

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks!

First the knock sensor will cause the indicated transmission issue. The first thing to do is find a independent that handles Toyota products and get a reasonable price for replacing the knock sensor, which by the way is buried under the intake manifold so yes is is labor intensive. Highly suggest replacing the wiring loom going to the sensors also, but at least inspect them for any insulation missing.

• Like 1