Es350 Exploding Sunroof

Diwit

I'm sure the dealer used this opportunity to fleece the insurance company as they determined the glass was a result of a stone chip.  The cost of the repair supposedly including the removal of the entire sunroof mechanism because glass had fouled the tracks and needed to be replaced.  The interior of the vehicle was covered in glass and had to be disassembled to be cleaned of glass.  Sounds like a great opportunity to run up an insurance claim.  I can't stress how much glass covered the interior and every nook and cranny.  Glad you had a more rewarding experience.

I'm sorry, I'm no Erin Brochovich. I've moved on with German brand.  I've seen media studies on this phenomenon.  Vehicle manufacturers acknowledge this happens but do not take any responsibility. I take solace in the fact no one was hurt.  

1 hour ago, Diwit said:

I'm sorry, I'm no Erin Brochovich. I've moved on with German brand.  I've seen media studies on this phenomenon.  Vehicle manufacturers acknowledge this happens but do not take any responsibility. I take solace in the fact no one was hurt.  

Well I hope the German brand you have now isn't Mercedes, BMW or VW/Audi!  If so, then your troubles are just beginning.  The vehicles I've owned that were manufactured by Toyota have been infinitely more reliable and of higher quality than the German vehicles I've owned.  My last Mercedes, purchased new, was on its 3rd engine when I finally dumped it and bought a new Lexus LS.  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

If you look closely to the window sticker on the Lexus when you go car shopping, you will see a white sticker mostly on the rear passenger side window behind the driver's sit and it states as follows:

"This vehicle's parts are 55% USA/Canadian and 35% Japanese".

I dont know where the other 10% is lost, however 55% of the car is equipped with crappy American parts made for Lexus. And only 35% of it is actually Japanese which is, The Engine. The transmission, and probably the ECM, BCM, and TCM. 

* ECM = Engine Control Module

** BCM = Body Control Module

*** TCM = Transmiddion Control module

• 2 years later...

The sunroof of my Lexus ES 350 exploded today for no reason and it scared the crap out of me. What the heck? When I googled the issue I found that is is not that uncommon. Why isn't Lexus doing anything about this??? When I called the Lexus Dealership they said call your insurance company. REALLY????

Seems to happen to all brands, some worse than others.   I am thinking they are using thinner glass than what's used for the windshield.  But other factors are likely added to the reason.  
1 - If the glass is installed in a frame that is slightly too small, as the glass expands due to heat, the stress of the frame on the glass = shatters.
2 - Sun Roof glass is very dark, usually the darkest glass compared to everything else on a car.   Dark glass expands and contracts more than light colored glass.
3 - The sunshade cover between the window and the cabin = traps more heat.   Thus, the glass is even hotter than normal.   Moving that sunshade can cause a quick change in temperature for that window which results in it shattering.   (One of my favorite cups shattered because I washed it out with hot water, then put a cold drink and ice cubs in it without thinking.  I picked up the cup with my hand, the bottom half broke away - ugh.  Not replaceable) 

4 - Hyundai seems to be rated as having more issues than other brands.  Again, thinner glass could be the cause.

This makes me nervous, as certain trims of cars comes with a sun roof, even if you don't want one.   This makes me want one even less, stick with a lower trim. 

• 6 months later...

Three perfectly logical reasons for owning a sunroof:

1. You could not find a luxury car that didn’t already have one.
  2. Your vehicle MFG needs to stay extremely profitable, or they would not be forcing customers (by default) to buy an overpriced Sun Roof (excuse me - A MOON Roof).
  3. Your Head needs to be toasty. This, based on the fact that even with the sun shade closed, radiation from the hot sun sill penetrates thru the slim shade and makes me fell hotter than I would feel otherwise.

And then there is the frequent, nagging question after a pop up thunder shower:  Did I remember to close that dad blasted sun roof after I got to work?  

I came out of the grocery store once after a sudden rain shower. Had the sun roof raised to cool the inside. Got in the RX 350 and started down a hill to a stop sign.  Everything is cool, right? I applied the brakes, and BAM! Niagara Fall, baby.  What a RUSH...