Sc400 Rear Brake Removal

I have a '99 SC400 that need new rear brakes (at 49K miles). How do I release the parking brake so I can remove the rotor????

Is the mileage of 49,ooo unusual for rear brake replacment ?? My dealer tells me I have 2-3 mm before the sensor.

Thanks

Glen

They must be referring to your pads. There is no sensor on a rotor. Two to 3 mm on a rotor is a lot of material. On a pad is not so much. If you ride the brakes you'll get about 3,000 more miles out of them. You might get more if you aren't as hard on the brakes as my old lady. There should be no need to remove the rotor at this point unless you feel a shimmy in the rear under braking that might indicate some warped or out of round rotors. Of course, you'd want to release the emergency brake if you are going to remove the rear rotors. The pad job is very easy. I can fax a procedure - but be patient as I do not have ready access to my manuals. Inspect the rotors for unusual wear. They can become damaged when pads are worn out and driven on for too long. I'd have to say your rotors are just fine at 50k - although it might not hurt to have them turned they probably don't need it. But I don't know your driving habits and worse yet, can't see your rotors so - eh - you know.

They must be referring to your pads. There is no sensor on a rotor. Two to 3 mm on a rotor is a lot of material. On a pad is not so much. If you ride the brakes you'll get about 3,000 more miles out of them. You might get more if you aren't as hard on the brakes as my old lady. There should be no need to remove the rotor at this point unless you feel a shimmy in the rear under braking that might indicate some warped or out of round rotors. Of course, you'd want to release the emergency brake if you are going to remove the rear rotors. The pad job is very easy. I can fax a procedure - but be patient as I do not have ready access to my manuals. Inspect the rotors for unusual wear. They can become damaged when pads are worn out and driven on for too long. I'd have to say your rotors are just fine at 50k - although it might not hurt to have them turned they probably don't need it. But I don't know your driving habits and worse yet, can't see your rotors so - eh - you know.

OK, thanks. I am referring to the pad sensor (sreaming metal piece) of course.

The rear rotors are worn and uneven enough to make me want to machine them before replacing the pads. This car came from the east coast of USA. The fronts are fine but the rears are worn. I have little history on the car since I just got it. But the fronts look facrtory original.

A method to release the rear emergency brake shoe ( I assume it's a drum type) would be appreciated.

Glen

• 2 weeks later...

If the disc can not be removed easily, return the shoe adjuster until the wheel turns freely. There is a plug in the rotor that can be turned with a flathead - the plug will need to be at the bottom in a 6:00 position to turn the adjuster.