LexusFL

1994 Ls 400 Transmission Advise Needed

Got new from my Lexus dealer yesterday that my transmission on my 1994 LS 400 need to be replaced. Their cost was $6400 plus. Anyone had their transmission successfully replaced recently. I am located in Miramar/Pembroke Pines/Hollywood Florida area.

What you need is a second opinion from another repair shop. It would also help if you mentioned what kind of symptoms the trans displays, and how the dealer has determined that it's failed.

Chances are they aren't rebuilding it at that price - they intend to exchange it. Independent shops can rebuild it for far less, and although I'm not an auto trans expert, they are a common design and rebuild parts are available. Figure $3k, which is about what it is locally for such a trans.

First thing I noticed. When placing the car in reverse often the vehicle
would shift hard into gear. I usually keep my foot on the brakes when
shifting into reverse.

Second thing notices. When driving the car first time for the day, it
would go 100 yards then act like it slipped out of gear, the engine
would rev and the car would not move until I turn it off and restart;
everything is fine after that.

Most recently after driving for 10 minutes the the vehicle would not shift properly.

I know i can purchase another vehicle but I love this one.

The vehicle is service only by JM Lexus. I did notice the transmission
fluid was overfilled for some time after the last service.

Any help is appreciated.

The first thing I would do is drain (check fluid color, should be red not any darker ) and fill the tranny (do not flush ) Just a drain and fill, Takes 2 quarts ( $5.00 apiece) of Toyota T4 Tran fluid. Then go for a drive and use all of the selections prnd4321 then check fluid level and color again. If problems haven't changed, Drop the pan and check the shift solenoids to see if there is some lack of function. These trannys don't just break.

Brought the car home. I will replace quite a few parts since it will down for a while.

As DCfish says check and part change the ATF and then check the shift solenoids.

With it being a 1994 model it is also easy to check any stored transmission fault codes with a piece of wire in the diagnostics port which may give more clues as to the problem.

I guess you are also aware of the trunk hinge wiring issue that can cause some strange behaviours.

If after all this the transmission is shot it may be more cost effective to find a known good replacement from a breaker, 1990-1994 models are all the same.

Um, you went to the DEALER?

For the rest of you, unless your vehicle is under warrantee, NEVER GO TO THE DEALER FOR A REPAIR!

I just got an estimate to overhaul my transmission from AACTION Transmission (Charlie) in Coral Springs, FL. His estimate to overhaul the automatic transmission on my 1993 LS400 was $1500. This company has been in the same location on Wiles road for about 20 years and is 5-star rated by the local clientele.

The rest of us don't actually need your shouted unsolicited advice. We've got more experience with these cars than you could know.

Most of us don't live in Coral Springs, and we don't know Charlie, although I'm sure he's a nice guy. If you actually have your transmission rebuilt by him perhaps you could post a photo of the final bill?

And welcome.

Despite the undeserved vitriol in the post from SRK, the original poster will recognize that Coral Springs is a few minutes from Coral Springs and that $1500.00 is a heck of a lot better than $6400.00+ even with a tow.

To "SRK": I never asked if you needed my advice. If you have no relevant, constructive, on-topic (i.e.: auto repair) advice to offer, please keep your deliberately hurtful, whiny, small-minded little comments to yourself.

Agreed!!! Some of us, including myself, has gone to the dealership for non-warranty related repairs. I'm glad to hear there are shops out there that offer their labor a little cheaper than the dealership.

That's great Nabil. Sounds to me like you're saying it's a personal choice, which is my point. In ten years I've only taken my GS400 to the dealer three times, and every time the work has been done expertly, quickly, and at a reasonable cost. Ninety percent of the time I do my own work, but when I can't for whatever reason, I go to the dealer - because I choose to. Everyone is free to choose.