Lexus Gs300 2001 - Driver Door Actuator - Electric Motor

Hi All,

The driver side door does not lock except for inserting the key and turning to lock/unlock. I've done some testing and I can hear the electric motor near the lock handle sort of groan slightly when I point the key/remote and press lock or unlock. I need to replace this motor.

Further research says these are called Mabuchi electric motors and they come with a short shaft or a long shaft.

Anybody know which shaft length is correct for my car?

Thx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I went ahead and bought the motor with the short shaft and it was the correct part. Had to take the driver side door apart to get to the lock actuator assembly and remove it. Changed out the electric motor inside and put everything back together. Door locking using the keyless remote works just fine. Total cost of repair for me was $27.00

Recommended solution for this repair from Lexus dealers is to replace the entire lock actuator assembly. I've seen prices as high as $300 for this part and then you would have to add whatever labor charge, at least two hours I would say.

Hopefully this will help someone, as this is a fairly common problem for Lexus cars.

Thx

• 2 months later...

Can you post which actuator motor part number you purchased?

I have a 2001 GS300 and 3 out of 4 door actuator motors are bad. I'm planning on replacing them, but want to know exactly which motor to order. Thank you.

If you go into Ebay Motors and type in Mabuchi Electric Motor FC-280PT-22125 you will see them. They are very inexpensive. You will also need to purchase a Walkera Universal Pinion Gear puller to transfer the pinion gear from the old motor (shaft) to the new motor (shaft). These are also on Ebay Motors and are inexpensive. You will need to split the plastic lock actuator assembly housing to get to the motor with something like an Exacto knife and glue it back together with a good glue like Locktite for re-assembly. Best to do this back in the house at the kitchen table while watching a football game, for example. Take your time and be thorough ....

Hope this helps ....

Dan Curtis

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that there are a couple of YouTube videos on how to disassemble the door and lock actuator. In Google type in Lexus GS400-300 DIY Door Lock Actuator and you will see the links. There is a Part 1 and a Part 2 ... ten minutes each. Study these as they are very helpful .....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. I was able to fix my door locks.

The videos helped with the front door disassembly. You do not need to take the rear doors apart as much (e.g., you can leave the window and door handle in and just remove the lock assembly).

And wow, the absolute hardest part was breaking open the plastic case to get to the actuator motors. That was a pain. Even taking my time, I broke the plastic up (it was brittle after all these years).

I also noticed that some of the cable holders were broken (so the cable housing would move along with the cable itself), which explained why some of the locks weren't even working manually. I've read on another thread that I can fix this with a paper clip. I'm going to try this some other weekend.

Glad to hear that you were able to fix your door locks. It sounds like your issues may have been cable related. When I was trouble shooting my driver side door issue, I pointed my key fob directly at the door lock while sitting in the car and pressed the lock button and I heard a low groan noise. That is when I new the electric motor was bad. It was in fact black and sooty on the white plastic end when I removed it.

I'll remember your tip about not having to remove the window and handle on the rear doors if I encounter this problem sometime down the road.

Dan Curtis