Everything Went Dark?

pj8708

Just picked up my wife's new 2013 RX350. After driving it around, I noticed something with the instrument display I've never known to happen on any of my other Lexus.

As you know, in the middle of the main instrument cluster,(speedometer,tach,etc), there is the window that displays Average mpg, Crusing range, ECO performance, Avg speed, etc. All of this works well, but when I turn on the Cruise Control, and push in the "set" button, the display window goes blank. It will not show any information regardless of what steps you take.

When you turn off the Cruise Control, the information in the window is restored and everything is peachy.

My previous 3 ES350's did not do this. Has anyone had this same problem?

Any words of wisdom?

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Paul, I think the ES350 version you have was sold only in Des Moines, Iowa. :wacko:

What does the dealer say about this "feature"?

I think your right on target. I went back and pulled the the original window MSRP/invoice. In very small print within the special accessories section, there is a line marked "Dark Instruments", " Darker than a Coal Mine, Darker than the inside of a Bruised Crow!!

Actually, I had the "Black Beauty" in last week to put on snow tires and like any other 65 year older with a memory like a sieve, I forgot to ask to ask the dealer about it!!!

Paul

Maybe try using the various settings of the up/down, Enter and Menu buttons on the right side of the steering wheel described on pages 260-261 of the owners manual. One of the seven menus/choices that can be toggled through with the up/down switches is "Multi-information display off".

My 2011 RX350 does the same thing. When I set the cruise control, the display window changes to show "set". The only way I've found to change it is to use the up/down arrows and enter to change the display to what I want. Next time I set cruise the display changes to "set" again.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2011 RX350 does the same thing. When I set the cruise control, the display window changes to show "set". The only way I've found to change it is to use the up/down arrows and enter to change the display to what I want. Next time I set cruise the display changes to "set" again.

Yep, first trip we took using CC in our (new to us) 2010, I set the CC and the screen went dark except for the tiny "set" in the corner. Pushing down (or up?) on the "Enter" button/lever restored my previous display. Most obnoxious, distracting & stupid. Makes me wonder if Lexus engineers ever test or try their designs before releasing them to manufacturing. Seems like a minor firmware fix would correct this problem. Or, use the "customization" feature to give us the option of a dark screen or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever think that this may be a "feature?" Using the cruise control will inevitably give you worse gas mileage. Maybe the designers feel that you do not want to see all the mileage data since you turned cruise control on. When you turn it off the display returns to the previous setting. Don't get the idea that I like this "feature" though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, IMHO, if Lexus considers this blanking of the display to be a feature, someone in Lexus Engineering needs to be given some serious lessons in customer feedback. This is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Again, it should be something that can be changed via customization.