Es300's A Good Deal?

Hello all! This is my post first as well as first thread that I'm posting. Anyways, I've been wondering if buying a 2002 ES300 was a logical decision compared to that of their European competitors. It seems that for the price of the ES300 you are getting a much better deal than its competitors (MB C-Class, BMW 3-series, Audi A4) such as many of the optional options on the Euro automobiles come standard on a Lexus (HID's, Power Seats, Driver Memory Seats, Premium Sound, Leather Seats, Larger Wheels, Reliability [haha] ).

So do you think I made the right decision of buying a Lexus seeing as your get more for your money?

I do have to admit that after experiencing my 2004 BMW 325i (which is pretty close in price to the IS300/ES300) that I regret it's overall layout. I don't have 1/2 as many options as my Lexus and not to mention it's boring!

I should've settled for an IS300 even though it looks tacky =(

You're posing that question in the Lexusownersclub forums...think about it. NO ONE here is going to tell you that you made the wrong choice! :rolleyes: BMW's are hella fun to drive, but the interior is so stark compared to Lexus interiors. I would also get rid of the BMW as soon as the warrenty expires, as they are not as reliable as Japanese cars in general.

Dude, Lexus sucks. Get a Kia Amanti. :lol:

You are comparing apples to oranges by comparing the 3-Series to the ES300. Size wise, the ES300 compares to the 5-Series BMW, but price wise it is on par with the 3-Series. Basically you bought a larger car for the same price as the smaller one. From a feature standpoint, the ES 300 is just as nice as the 5 Series with the same roominess, etc (although some BMW snobs would disagree). Plus, the new 5-series styling is hideous compared to previos models.

The Lexus is more of a cruising car and not as much of a driver's car as the BMW. You will find that the suspension is not as tight or crisp. There is also a difference in the front wheel drive vs. the rear wheel drive effect. The Lexus is geared more towards a comfortable drive where the BMW is geared more to performance driving.

Personally, I like the European dash and control layouts more so than the Japanese. There are a few simple buttons and switches with visual clues as to their functions. Since they are selling their cars across a wide array of language markets in Europe (and the rest of the world), it makes it easier to standardize the controls. I like the minimalistic touch that the European cars have. My Mercedes C280 has this same feel to it (probably similar to your BMW). It is sort of an understated elegance in that you know its a quality car by looking at it - it dosen't have to impress you with a bunch of electronic controls and LCD screens.

For the type of driving that I do (mildly agressive), I like my Mercedes (or the 3-series) better so I can zip in and out of city traffic at my leisure and I know that I have plenty of torque on demand. I also prefer the design styling of the European brands (with the exception of most new BMWs). Audis, VW's Volvos, Saabs, & especially the new line of MBs are all great looking cars.

The !Removed! do have a great advantage with their reliability though. My ES300 is never in the shop, but my Benz has been in there a few times lately. If Mercedes could design & style the exterior and interior, and Lexus could engineer the rest of it to fit into the Mercedes styling then you would have the best cars on the road bar none.

Did you make a good choice? Sure. You have a larger car with the same luxury status and more reliability. You can't go wrong with a Lexus. (Plus, everyone has a 3-series these days.)

BTW: I heard on NPR a few days ago that BMW plans to hire an additional 500 engineering employees to address their reliability and electronics integration issues.

From an overall longevity point I think the ES is a very wise decision! B) They are extremely reliable over the years compared to a lot of european cars in the price range & even cars costing thousands more :D From a performance standpoint, I agree that were not comparing apples to apples as the Lexus is a totally different vehicle. The Lexus is more on the softer riding & pamper side of things as opposed to all out performance & handling. But you can't go wrong with the Lexus in my opinion & welcome to the club! B)

From an overall longevity point I think the ES is a very wise decision! B) They are extremely reliable over the years compared to a lot of european cars in the price range & even cars costing thousands more :D From a performance standpoint, I agree that were not comparing apples to apples as the Lexus is a totally different vehicle. The Lexus is more on the softer riding & pamper side of things as opposed to all out performance & handling. But you can't go wrong with the Lexus in my opinion & welcome to the club! B)

im in same boat / love the interior but can't seem to get over the apparent tranny issus

can u help

would love to buy in the next month or so

thanks

im in same boat / love the interior but can't seem to get over the apparent tranny issus

the tranny is no big deal once you are aware of it. Just don't stomp the pedal to the floor. Aggressive/rapid acceleration can be achieved without the lag.

You will learn the car and learn the tranny characteristics.

Most dealerships will let you take the car for the weekend if they think you are really serious about buying. See if you can do this and then spend the weekend driving around and then make a decision.

You won't regret the smooth and quiet of the ES.

steviej

the tranny is no big deal once you are aware of it. Just don't stomp the pedal to the floor. Aggressive/rapid acceleration can be achieved without the lag.

You will learn the car and learn the tranny characteristics.

Most dealerships will let you take the car for the weekend if they think you are really serious about buying. See if you can do this and then spend the weekend driving around and then make a decision.

You won't regret the smooth and quiet of the ES.

steviej

i/m not aggressive / just scared at the posts and recent recalls this month

seems reasonable

dont floor it but want safe car 4 my wife

tech service guys are confused also

I've put 17,000 miles on my ES and I can tell you, I have never experienced a time in which I felt my safety was in jeapordy. I agree 100% with Stevie, the lag is easily corrected in your driving habits to where you wont even notice it.

I've put 17,000 miles on my ES and I can tell you, I have never experienced a time in which I felt my safety was in jeapordy. I agree 100% with Stevie, the lag is easily corrected in your driving habits to where you wont even notice it.

I have, on more then a few occasions! Driving habits or not.....sometimes you need this instant response, and when it's not there it makes for a dangerous situation!! I definitely felt that my safety WAS in jeopardy. :angry:

I have, on more then a few occasions! Driving habits or not.....sometimes you need this instant response, and when it's not there it makes for a dangerous situation!! I definitely felt that my safety WAS in jeopardy. :angry:

better to keep in 4th gear? /

supposedly no cure

will probably pay 27k for 36kmiles

any other major issues to review

warped rotors?

oil gelling?

when to buy / ext warrantee

negot tips at dealer? mistakes?

every car wil have something but this one is tough

or buy infinity g35 / poorer mileage though but can buy kinda new

any help thanks

better to keep in 4th gear? /

supposedly no cure

will probably pay 27k for 36kmiles

any other major issues to review

warped rotors?

oil gelling?

when to buy / ext warrantee

negot tips at dealer? mistakes?

every car wil have something but this one is tough

or buy infinity g35 / poorer mileage though but can buy kinda new

any help thanks

is swo3es a moderator / what is mgt?

Managers are moderators with administrative duties. We help run, grow, and promote the club while watching the forums also. Basically we're 1/2 moderator, 1/2 admin ;)

Alan, I've been in situations where I've needed emergency acceleration and I didn't feel as if my life were in danger. I can make the car hesitate if I try, but it has never occured in my normal driving.

Oil gelling isn't a big deal as long as you change the oil every 5k miles, its warrantied until 80k I think. The warped rotors were a TSB, a new ES wouldn't have the issue. The transmission is really a personal thing, doesn't bother me but it does bother others. Best to drive and test.

I don't regret anything about my purchase of the ES. What you've got to understand is that you really have to take the amount of "problems" you read about on a board like this with a grain of salt. For one, we're all a lot pickyer than most drivers. For two, people tend to search out these forums when they're having problems already, meaning theres an unrealistic proportion of people with problems and without.

Despite all the problems you hear about here, the ES does VERY well in all consumer based surveys...

i agree with sw.just because someones having a issure with there car doesnt mean you will!

lexus overall is one of the best cars you can buy hands down!bmw,mercedes and the rest of the german euro cars are not nearly as reliable as a lexus.read the reveiws and go test drive a lexus and you will see the difference.

now if you like the sportier performance feel type of car then bmw is that car but if you want a reliable softer,better made car and better looks if you ask me then go with the lexus!good luck :D

i agree with sw.just because someones having a issure with there car doesnt mean you will!

lexus overall is one of the best cars you can buy hands down!bmw,mercedes and the rest of the german euro cars are not nearly as reliable as a lexus.read the reveiws and go test drive a lexus and you will see the difference.

now if you like the sportier performance feel type of car then bmw is that car but if you want a reliable softer,better made car and better looks if you ask me then go with the lexus!good luck :D

the rest of you agree with the two moderators, they seem to make sense and would like to move ahead with purchase

any other issues you can think of?

how to address the warrantee esp re tranny

3yr 100k enough

buy at beginning or end of std lease?

first lexus purchase

Well the transmission and engine on the car are warrantied for 80,000 miles. I dont see any reason to buy a warranty upfront other than the 3yr/100k Certified Pre Owned warranty. Extended warranties are almost always a waste of money.

I am a little confused, are you looking for a 2002 pre owned or a new one? The reason I ask is "buy at the beginning or end of std lease?" I don't understand that question.

Well the transmission and engine on the car are warrantied for 80,000 miles. I dont see any reason to buy a warranty upfront other than the 3yr/100k Certified Pre Owned warranty. Extended warranties are almost always a waste of money.

I am a little confused, are you looking for a 2002 pre owned or a new one? The reason I ask is "buy at the beginning or end of std lease?" I don't understand that question.

my error , wanted to buy 2002 for say $27k 25 k miles

however, is it worth looking at es330 for $32k w/o transmission issue or does to still have same?

moderators are good

also heard from lexus that tranny pbm doesnt effect every car?

is it by vin# someone upstate said

say 40 on acceell ramp 1 sec flat spot and downhill 40 to say 10 mph then accell flat spot

real tough call / /though like car

what do you think lexus response to nspa march letter will be?

Well, I always prefer a new car so if its a question of new ES330 vs 2002 ES300 I suggest the 330. *I* dont see any difference between the two in the way of smoothness. I would drive them back to back and see what you think.

also heard from lexus that tranny pbm doesnt effect every car?

I think every car has it, it doesn't effect every driver.

what do you think lexus response to nspa march letter will be?

You mean the NHTSA investigation? Lexus won't have a response until the findings are out.