Rx 350 Battery Replacement

wh2

As my vehicle is now over 4 yrs oldI, I will soon need to replace it's battery. I prefer to not wait until it gives out. Does anyone know if the Lexus replacement battery at dealerships is any better than say a Diehard, and if the cost is drastically greater than one bought at a local store?

My Lexus 350 battery lasted 6 years. For some reason it went out slowly with lots of warning signs.

Anyway, it was replaced with a battery from Costco. Those batteries have been very reliable in all of my vehicles, tractors, and DC powered equipment.

If a different, more expensive, battery gives you peace of mind then it is worth the extra cost.

As my vehicle is now over 4 yrs oldI, I will soon need to replace it's battery. I prefer to not wait until it gives out. Does anyone know if the Lexus replacement battery at dealerships is any better than say a Diehard, and if the cost is drastically greater than one bought at a local store?

The best source I've ever found for testing and evaluating car batteries is good old "Consumer Reporrts". Their test on dozens of batteries and the data they collect, such as cold cranking amps, depth of charge, etc is very helpful. I believe you can access some of that data without having to subscribe. I do subscribe just to keep up with other products their testing.

Paul

Just buy a battery at a local store after doing appropriate research. I wait until a battery is in its death throes and I've never been stranded (yet) in 47 years of driving. It's odd that the local Toyota and Lexus dealer used to sell exactly the same batteries at similar prices until a separate Lexus branded battery was created. The batteries are still the same but now the Lexus branded battery costs twice as much - around $250 here. I would have bought the Toyota branded battery but there is no warranty unless used in a Toyota or Scion brand car.

I now buy car batteries at Costco and enjoy that rebate at the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have always been a bit pro-active regarding the inevitable battery failure. We had replaced our RX300 battery as it approached the 4 yr mark, with a battery from AutoZone which at the time received high marks from Consumers Reports. Sold as a 6 yr battery, it failed suddenly after less than 33 mos, stranding my wife in freeway traffic. The car was towed to a local repair shop we use, where an Interstate Battery was fitted. Unfortunately, because the old battery was not available to return to AutoZone (and why would I want another similar battery) their warranty turned out to be meaningless. Based on this incident I will continue with Interstate batteries when the '10 RX350 shows signs of needing a battery...probably do that next Spring if the OEM survives the winter. IF/when that battery should fail, at least I have a shot at some recovery on the warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

There are two major auto battery manufacturers in the US that supply all the big auto stores, wholesale clubs, etc. Johnson Controls and Deka.

Just be sure the battery is fresh off the shelf and the correct Group number so it fits correctly. Almost all of them have a minimum 3 year free replacement guarantee, slowly per distributor they are getting rid of any pro-rating past the 3rd year.

• 1 year later...

My lexus is a 2012 RX350 purchased new. I have 65k miles on it and the battery is 3 yrs old. Most batteries last 3 yrs on average, I had one last 6 yrs but that is rare. I can tell when a battery is becoming weak by listing to the engine starting, if it struggles I know it time to change a batter is it has 2+ years on it. I just notice this struggle (slow start) and will now change the batter with a Diehard or a Interstate (best by consumers). I will go get a interstate at Cosco as it wat $70, a good price for a great batter. I was intrested in the Optima but though it was to expensive.

Now looking for a way to change myself without losing my resets. I may hook up a jumper to keep 12v on system while changing the battery.

Good Luck

I buy all my batteries at Costco as well. In the past they sold the Optima batteries but no longer. Just as a point of interest, I installed an Optima Red Top battery in my Nissan pickup 9 1/2 years ago and it still works great. On around town vehicles, I wait until they are dead. On out of town cars and road cars, I replace when they get 4 years old. Waiting to see how long the Red Top will go. Any car I plan to keep long term will get a Red Top because they last 10 years. On cars that I probably won't keep long term, I've had great luck with Costco batteries. I believe they sell Interstate now.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a 2013 Lexus RX350.  I need to replace its 12 volt battery.  How can I do this myself without losing the computer memory (driver's seat positions, radio settings, navigation details, etc)?