Timing Chain Vs Timing Belt.

Hi all,

I'd like to know the different between timing chain vs timing belt on the LS. What year the LS started to have the timing chain? I'm interested in buying a used LS with timing chain. I travel a lot for my job and replacing timing belt every 90k miles sometimes it's hard for me.

(My current car is 1990 LS400 with 405k miles)

Thanks

The LS460 was the first LS to have a timing chain. According to the maintenance schedule, it requires no periodic inspection so I assume it is good for the "life" of the car. Timing chains are not always trouble free. Back in the 1980's, the single roller timing chain on the 3.8 liter Mercedes V8 engine was prone to breaking and required replacement at regular and short intervals.

• 2 weeks later...

Any timing chain has a definite life to it. I replaced the timing chain in my Mercedes diesel at about 150k miles, and my 560 has a 'known' issue where the timing chain and guides have to be replaced every 100k miles or so. These are 20+ year old designs though so YMMV.

I don't know if the chains are any easier/harder to replace in the UR engines than the timing belts in the UZ engines. For the record having a belt snap is extremely rare; usually it's the water pump that dies and takes the whole works with it. Aramid fiber belts are pretty strong.

-J

PS ..Jim is correct-- the early 3.8 liter MB engine series had single row timing chains and manual tensioners. Provided they were adjusted regularly the engine lasts a long time; but many weren't (interference engine + snapped chain = $6000 valve job). Later engines had double row chains with automatic tensioners; I heard of more than a few 380s that were retrofitted with the newer cam drives.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...