Door Hinge

Nikki

My passenger dide door makes a LOUD pop sound when you open it all the way. My mother took the casr for the weekend and low ane behold something happens to the door. I don't see any visible signs of a wreck or anything. But, you can open the door half way with no problem, but you have to FORCE it all the way open to open it fully and it makes that loud pop noise. Also, whn it gets forced open, the hinges meet and it is scrapping off my paint. Does anyone know what this is or how much it costs to get fixed?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 92 SC400 that i just purchased and I had the same problem with the door making that popping sound every time i opened and closed the door.

My simple silution was spaying any lubricant spay or wd40 right on the hinge area, after doing so swing your door in both directions and that will stop the popping. It will actually open and close like a new door..... I couldnt beleive that it worked you should try you will be amazed, let me know how it turned out for you. ;)

That is only a short term solution. If the door is out of alignment due to worn hinges or otherwise, you will start to see damage ocurring in the door jamb area of the back side of the door and inside of the cockpit - where the latch mechanism is. This will remove paint and rust.

• 1 year later...

My driver door went through a popping spell not long back. I did the same and sprayed WD-40 all over it and it eventually corrected itself, until yesterday. It started popping again, and now this morning, I went to get outta my car and the door was being unusually stubborn, so I gave it a strong push and it didn't budge. I get outta the passenger side and walk around, only to discover that the reason it woudln't open is that the leading edge of the door was actually making contact with the quarter panel. Now my quarter panel is pooched outward, there's a slight bend on the front of the door, all the paint on the edge is chipping and the door won't open. I'm afraid I'm going to have to remove the quarter panel to open it without damaging it any more. So much for that perfect, never wrecked look...any suggestions on where to find a hinge for less than an arm or leg?

My driver door went through a popping spell not long back.  I did the same and sprayed WD-40 all over it and it eventually corrected itself, until yesterday.  It started popping again, and now this morning, I went to get outta my car and the door was being unusually stubborn, so I gave it a strong push and it didn't budge.  I get outta the passenger side and walk around, only to discover that the reason it woudln't open is that the leading edge of the door was actually making contact with the quarter panel.  Now my quarter panel is pooched outward, there's a slight bend on the front of the door, all the paint on the edge is chipping and the door won't open.  I'm afraid I'm going to have to remove the quarter panel to open it without damaging it any more.  So much for that perfect, never wrecked look...any suggestions on where to find a hinge for less than an arm or leg?

I had to replace the driver's side door hinge on my 1992 SC400. I got one from

http://www.brickyardimportedcars.com/. They guarentee their parts. The first hinge that they sent to me was bent. (it cost $125.00) When I called them about the bent hinge, they offered me my money back or another hinge. I took the hinge. They sent another one to me at no cost and that one is now on my car.

I really like these guys.

CompuMan :lol:

One thing about a Lexus, they do not build anything light weight. These doors are probably some of the heaviest doors in modern auto manufacturing. This is why they have engineered such a heavy duty door hinge to hand it with. My 93 SC had a worn out drivers hinge. The hinge is designed not only to open the door, but also move the door away from the body. This articulated hinge is under alot of load. I ordered a new hinge from Carson Toyota www.l-tuned.com. Shipped, it was $275, almost a third cheaper than anyone else. A used hinge is also going to be very worn. I would recommend a new one.

Good Luck!

I played around with it some yesterday when I got home. I had to loosen and temporarily bend the quarter panel just to get the door to open! Anyway, I noticed a tiny bit of play-not even a full millimeter I'd say- of upward/downward play in the door if I hold it at the bottom and lift up on it. But, it's so little, it's nearly impossible to tell where on the hinge is the "pivot point" (this was obviously a joint effort with my dad, and neither of us could tell exactly where the looseness was...). Ended up I had to use wooden door shims and literally bend the quarter panel a little bit and re-position it in order to make the door operable. Lost some paint in the process too...the door at least opens now but the clearance is seriously about the width of 3 sheets of paper. I guess the next step is to get another hinge, but it's hard to believe that just that TINY bit of play would cause all this trouble. It's almost as if I've hit something and bent the quarter panel but I know I haven't. This is just all too strange...

There is a DIY on one of the Australian Lexus sites that tells you how to disassemble and rebuild the bushings in the door hinge. This is an articulated hinge and this is why 1mm of play can be so crucial. It thought about the rebuild, but then decided, long term, it would be better to replace with new.

:cheers: