Strange Msrp Option List Problem On 2014 F-Sports...

Hi all:

Debating between a IS250 AWD F-Sport and a IS350 AWD F-Sport. Primary reason for the purchase is fuel efficiency, but after driving each, I feel the 250 is slow.

Some q’s:

Is it true the 250 can take regular gas, but the 350 must use premium?

Real world, how much better is the 250 on fuel efficiency than the 350?

Very upsetting the F-Sport does not come with memory or cooled seats!

Is it true that removing the F-Sport badge would leave holes on the fender?

Otherwise, I thought F-Sport’s come with 18” rims and All-Season tires on AWD models. If so, I’ve seen MSRP option list print outs showing AWD F-Sport’s with “19-inch Split 5-spoke Alloy Wheels w/ Dark Graphite Finish w/ Summer Tires”. What’s going on? I don’t even see 19-inch wheels in the brochure or online, and no, it’s not a dealer installed option (cars haven’t even landed yet).

Last, is there a way to have the dealer contact the port to ensure the ugly port installed rear bumper applique is NOT installed?

Thanks!

I would doubt that any badging would require holes drilled in the car. I think that went out in the 60's.

My 250 is slow compared to the other cars I have owned in my life but not to the point you have trouble passing anybody or merging onto a freeway. I have never had any problem with that.

I use 89 Octane and average 24/25 MPG, almost totally stop and go city driving. Not bad at all.

Hi all:

Debating between a IS250 AWD F-Sport and a IS350 AWD F-Sport. Primary reason for the purchase is fuel efficiency, but after driving each, I feel the 250 is slow.

Some q’s:

Is it true the 250 can take regular gas, but the 350 must use premium?

Real world, how much better is the 250 on fuel efficiency than the 350?

Very upsetting the F-Sport does not come with memory or cooled seats!

Is it true that removing the F-Sport badge would leave holes on the fender?

Otherwise, I thought F-Sport’s come with 18” rims and All-Season tires on AWD models. If so, I’ve seen MSRP option list print outs showing AWD F-Sport’s with “19-inch Split 5-spoke Alloy Wheels w/ Dark Graphite Finish w/ Summer Tires”. What’s going on? I don’t even see 19-inch wheels in the brochure or online, and no, it’s not a dealer installed option (cars haven’t even landed yet).

Last, is there a way to have the dealer contact the port to ensure the ugly port installed rear bumper applique is NOT installed?

Thanks!

Lexus offers all of their cars with standard features and accesories. Everything else comes as "packages". Each package offers different accesories, but each accesory is not necessarily exclusive only to that package. Sometimes a feature in one package will also be offered in another package. Each package has a differet price. For example, you might want voice recognition, but not the Mark Levenson Premium sound package.

Some times the dealer can break open a package for you, but not very often. Lexus doesn't want a bunch of cars sitting around with every thing but a leather gear shift knob.

However, I have twice bought a new ES and had the dealer swap the tires and wheels at no cost.

Paul

Not sure what a MSRP option list printout is, it's probably generated at dealership with bloated pricing on high profit accessories.

The MSRP list is the Manufacturers Retail Sale Price. It is the price list attached to the car door and is attached during manufacturing. The dealer can and will show you their copy as Lexus does not allow a dealer to modify the MSRP. Only in the process of reaching an aggrement for sale.

Not sure what a MSRP option list printout is, it's probably generated at dealership with bloated pricing on high profit accessories.

The MSRP list is the Manufacturers Retail Sale Price. It is the price list attached to the car door and is attached during manufacturing. The dealer can and will show you their copy as Lexus does not allow a dealer to modify the MSRP. Only in the process of reaching an aggrement for sale.

Yes, thanks we know that. The question (to the OP), what's the so-called "MSRP option list printout", which might be a dealer generated listing with dealer-installed/bloated profit accessories and markup added to MSRP price list attached to the door by manufacturer. (He mentioned seeing so-called list, and "cars haven't even landed yet", so if he's not looking at a MSRP sticker attached to door, what is "list" is he looking at?) Open question.

If any of you have been members for more than a couple of years, you might remember the confusion Lexus caused around 2010 when they changed the fuel specs. for the basic V6 engines used in the ES350's and other mid level cars that used the basic V6 3.5 using direct injection.

For several months there were threads all over the place questioning wether the engines would really run well on 87 octane, or would it kill the mpg performance they were now enjoying. Some thought it was great because they could save several dollars every time they pulled up to the pump. Some held out for an obvious Communist plot.

We, (LOC Moderator's Team), have pointed you to resources, and tried to given you all some examples from past observations.

One thing that never cease's to amaze me are the customers who for some, unknown reason, get irate just thinking that the Lexus dealer might be making a profit on the sale of the car the customer is buying.

Does this customer confront his paper delivery person every morning demanding to know how much out of the papers cost of 75 cents is the kid's profit? How about the free car wash at your dealer. Is there any inflated profit in that? The loaner car

If you legitimaly feel your not beeing given a fair proposal, do your research. Knowledge is power.

We still haven't heard one response from OP (dbs600). But we can continue to guess.

We do know that MSRP (window sticker as required by US law) pricing does contain plenty of profit, and the skllled negotiators amongst us can whittle that price down while still allowing dealership to make a fair, legitimate and substantial profit. I certainly appreciate the consistent high level of service at my Lexus dealership resulting from sustainable profitability.

But we don't know what he's talking about when mentioning "MSRP option list print outs" on cars that "haven't even landed yet", listing options that aren't currently offered by Lexus. At least he did research to see what optional wheels were available for new ISx50. TBD

Good point St.

It is a "strange but true" fact that not all dealers add opitions in the same way or the same options for that fact. At my dealer, they place a seperate price sheet on the car window next to the manufacturers price sheet. The dealers sheet shows such add-ons as special wheels, rear view camera, or other similar features like 3M protection film.

IMO, the biggest ripoff from any dealer is the extended warranty sold along with a brand new car. I'm sure the product might be right for some people, but in reality it looks to be nothing but pure profit for the dealer.

Paul

Hi all, Sorry for the delay, but been active on the "clublexus" forum. I've
since placed a deposit on a grey on red 2014 IS350 AWD F Sport and plan to take
delivery in a week. I've obtained answers to many of my questions, to wit: Both
the 250 and the 350 can take regular gas, but not recommended, and while
regular gas costs less, it also results in fewer MPG's, so it's a wash. The 250
averages about 4 MPG's better than the 350, but all depends on driving style /
habit; 350 drivers may be more prone to high revs; 250 drivers may be more
prone to driving moderately. Removing the F Sport badging on the front fenders
will leave holes! Very !Removed! about this. The MSRP option list print referred
to is called a Vehicle Inquiry Report or, internally, a "V Spec
Sheet", v for vehicle. It's all legit options / packages / MSRP pricing
from corporate, that does not include dealer installed accessories or fluff;
it's a window sticker printout from a central computer database. In any event,
there was an error on some print outs I came across and the dealers were
surprised and thankful of my reporting same to them. Who knows if they’ve fixed
same, or even have the capability to do so, as I’m told the info is populated
by corporate. Otherwise, yes, a dealer can contact the port to ensure the rear
bumper applique is not installed. Takes A LOT of effort to get the dealer to
make a simple phone call, at least it did in my case, but happy to report that
I got my way. Good luck to all, and be sure to check out “clublexus”. Be well!

dbs600 - Thanks for reporting back.

Ok so it was not a pic or copy of actual MSRP window sticker, but a VEHICLE INQUIRY REPORT.

I have one of these reports for my 2007 Is350, it was printed at my request at time of CPO purchase. It included port installed options and it had errors. It's more like a printed worksheet and should not be considered as anything other than an informal worksheet.

Congrats on the new 2014 IS350! I've driven 2 of them and they are great cars.

Hey dbs600,

Thank you very much for pulling together all of the great information. As we continue with our format transition, were trying to put a forum together for such "Misc," but important information. For sure in the searchable data base.

Paul