Remote Start For 2013 Rx

mikiejo

I had my Lexus dealer install a remote start system in my new 2013 RX. What a disappointment! It won't start the engine unless you are within 10-15 feet and when you open the door either with the key fob or your hand, the engine turns off. I traded in a Cadillac SRX for this Lexus and it had a remote start that would lock and unlock the doors, open the power back door and start the engine. The engine would remain running until you pushed the start/stop button. All remote start vehicles I have knowledge of work the same. How come Lexus can't compete with a decent remote start system? Having to restart the engine upon entering the vehicle requires additional energy and is wasteful. At least my dealer agrees with me and has agreed to remove the Lexus remote system and refund my money.

Hi Mike and welcome to the Club. I'm just in the process of closing on our first RX350 - 2013, so I'm not totaly up to speed on the electronics. But I do have a 2013 ES350, and before that an 2010 ES, and a 2005 ES. All have had remote start.

On my 2013, If it is running do to my starting the car remotely, when I open the drivers door, yes, it will shut off. This is so someone can't jump in your car and take off with it. Now you can argue that is inconvienant or clumsy, but for me, its pretty straight forward and bullet proof, especially since the car uses a proximity locking/unlocking and security field.

As for the active distance, thats just plain nuts. The only time I've heard of anything close to that poor of function, was when the ariel was not placed corretly. Or, The factory intalled remote starter is famous for very short effective distance.

Three brands that I have used or can recommend are, Python, Viper, and Clifford.

Let us know how things turn out.

Paul

Thanks for the input, Paul. I understand the need for safety. However, I prefer to have the option to start my car at a distance and let it cool off, open my power door and load my groceries, and enter the car push the start/stop button and be on my way without having to restart the engine. Starting an engine requires energy, starting it twice within a few minutes is just plain wasteful. Lexus can do better than this. We pay $50k or more for these cars and they should make a remote starter that you don't have to restart your engine twice.

The car remains locked until I open the door, so I can't foresee anyone jumping into my car when it is started. On my Cadillac SRX, I could start the engine from a long distance and the doors remain locked until I opened them. The car could not be put into gear unless you have the key fob and push the start/stop button.

Thanks again for the input, Paul. I really do appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

Thanks for the input, Paul. I understand the need for safety. However, I prefer to have the option to start my car at a distance and let it cool off, open my power door and load my groceries, and enter the car push the start/stop button and be on my way without having to restart the engine. Starting an engine requires energy, starting it twice within a few minutes is just plain wasteful. Lexus can do better than this. We pay $50k or more for these cars and they should make a remote starter that you don't have to restart your engine twice.

The car remains locked until I open the door, so I can't foresee anyone jumping into my car when it is started. On my Cadillac SRX, I could start the engine from a long distance and the doors remain locked until I opened them. The car could not be put into gear unless you have the key fob and push the start/stop button.

Thanks again for the input, Paul. I really do appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

Hey Mike! I just had a thought that might solve your problem. I know, I'm only allowed one thought a day so I hope this will help otherwise the little men in the white coats come to take me home....LOL

You may have already heard or thought about this, but it uses your "Smart Phone" and a application that allows the owner to control the functions of the remote starter.

In terms of effective distance, if you can get dial tone, you can start your car. Wether your Lexus is in California and your in Miami. Something it can offer that a usual remote start can't offer is the lock out app. Say your in Florida, but one of your family or other has your car in Georgia and they accidentally lock the keys in the car. They just call you, you call the car and touch the correct key on the pad and PRESTO, the car is unlocked.

Your flying home? Call the car from the plane and have it nice and cool when you get in.

The stuff under the hood runs about $450, and the app fee is $50 a year. My wife is having the system installed on her new RX and we'll be reporting back on our adventures as we get some miles on it.

Check with your Lexus dealer or a good Auto Stereo installment shop.

Paul

Hi, Paul. Nice thought. You should try to have more than one a day. I had a Drone DR2000 system installed in my RX after Lexus removed their system. And, yes it works with my iPhone. It does everything except keep the engine running. Now if someone -- I'm talking to you Lexus --can come with a fix so I can lock my doors, start my engine, know where my car is at all times, and have the engine continue to run while I open the door, enter and push the start/stop button. It can't be that difficult. Most American-made cars have them. My daughter and her husband both have Dodge cars and they have remote start on their key fob which works just like I wish Lexus would. I recently saw something on Lexus Drivers web site about a new Lexus remote system called Res+. It is $799 and works with your smart phone. Although they don't indicate that the engine will remain running after you open the doors. I asked my local Lexus dealer to research this system and if it works like I want, I will have the Drone system removed and have Lexus have another chance. I, like you, love Lexus. Their customer support is first rate and I have never had a major problem with any of the 8 Lexus cars I have owned. Paul, have a great day and if you stubble upon another idea, shoot it my way.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a automate aftermarket installed 3 weeks ago and like everybody else my engine shuts off when I grab the handle. But I got a call a couple of days ago and they told me they can keep the engine running and just hit the start button twice to keep the car running. YES. they got it to work.. :D I can start the car unlock my doors and have the trunk open with my aftermarket remote. When the car is not started, all my original functions from the factory remote works as if an aftermarket remote starter was never installed. However, they had to do alot of old school wiring..

lomo_55699, I am so glad that you were able to get your remote start to work properly. Would it be possible for you to have the company that installed your system and did some "old school" wiring give my installer a call/email and explain to them what they were able to do to get the remote start to work. I have a Drone DR2000 system which does not use a separate fob, but uses an app for my iPhone to do all the things my fob does, except to keep the engine running. If it is not an imposition, please have your installer email my installer at Darren@audiodesigncg.com. His facebook page is facebook.com/audiodesigns75. His phone is (904) 333-2322. Lexus did remove the system they installed, but I am still waiting on the refund check. Thanks again for the information. It gives me hope. I have contacted Lexus Customer Assistance, but they have not responded to my inquiry.

The only bypass module that we got to work is the Fortin EVO-ALL bypass module. Your installer should be able to call them up and have their tech support walk him through it. The PKALL xpresskit module which alot of installer uses will not have the function to do Takeover once the car is started.

Lomo,

My installer talked with Fortin and ordered the EVO-ALL by-pass module for my 2013 RX from them. He will install it next Tuesday the 8th of Oct. Since he installed a remote start system (Drone DR200) that doesn't allow the engine to remain running, he is going to remove his system and install the Fortin and not charge me the 3-4 hours of labor to swap out the systems. I only have to pay $88 which is the difference in price of the two modules. Wish me luck and I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again for heading me in the right direction. There is always information out there, but it takes a good person to relay it on to those looking for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sad to report that the EVO-ALL module Fortin sent to my installer was the wrong size and they could not get it to work. Now Fortin refuses to ship a correct module for my RX directly to my installer. For some reason they have to go through a middle man in order to obtain the module.

I don't understand why, but I am only a consumer who is quickly loosing my patience with the whole idea of ever getting a remote start system for my 2013 RX.

Thanks to all you responded. I have no ill will toward Lexus, I just wish they would keep up with the competition and provide a remote start that actually works.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I read all your posts regarding the issue of engine shutdown upon entering the vehicle. I am facing same issue. I have forti evo all installed in my corolla 2014. your last post on the issue suggests that you were waiting for the correct fortin module to come. please let me know if you were able to overcome this issue? if yes, how?

I live in Saudi Arabia and could not find a single qualified technician who could find solution to this problem.

• 7 months later...

Hello I have been installing car alarms for 17 years. So I say this only to give credibility to my response and feedback. This is what I have learned from installing aftermarket remote start alarms/systems on newer Toyotas/Lexus vehicles. All newer Toyota/Lexus vehicles, makes and models all have this issue. When the remote start is activated, the door locks close. When either the driver door handle or the unlock button on the remote is pressed, the remote start shuts off. Its actually not an issue, but this is how the Toyota engineers designed the remote start to function. So actually the remote start works the way it was designed to work. Now concerning the issue with the range on the key fob/factory remote being only 10-20 feet. This is normal. Again this is the way Toyota engineers designed the range. Now if you want to add a aftermarket remote start to get better range and to let the car stay on when the remote start is activated. You will only improve one result. The range will definitely get improvement. Depending on the alarm manufacturer. You will get an extended range of 75feet and higher. And if you get the phone APP, then their is no range limit as long as your phone has cellular service your app will work from where ever you are. Now for the remote start staying on. The remote start will still shut off when you either open the driver door handle or press the unlock button on the aftermarket remote control or on the APP icon. This is because the way that the aftermarket "bypass/interface" module was designed. The aftermarket "bypass/interface" engineers designed it this way. They designed it after the factory design. I have to agree. This is an inconvenience. When I first installed a aftermarket remote start in a newer Toyota/Lexus I thought I had installed it wrong. I spent hours tracing all my work. Finally I called the alarm manufacturer and they explained to me that the aftermarket remote start was designed to duplicate the factory Toyota/Lexus features.

To continue with the top post......At this point and time, this is the way a factory or aftermarket remote start will function on newer Toyota/Lexus vehicle makes and models until a newer version or update is available for the current "bypass/interface modules". I believe this started in the 2009+ Toyota/Lexus vehicles. If you have an older Toyota/Lexus, then this issue does not affect you. You can remote start your vehicle, lock and unlock the doors, open the driver door handle and the remote start will NOT shut off. Hope this helps anyone who owns a newer Toyota/Lexus vehicle and wants the remote start feature.