Hitting The Brakes

VBdenny

Having heard many discussions on this topic I was wondering which foot you use to brake. I know most people probably use their right foot but I have always used my left (except when driving a stick). It is obvious to me that having your right foot posied in a potentially dangerous situation certainly increases your braking response time otherwise race car drivers wouldn't use their right foot to brake. I feel it also savs gas as you don't always need to completely lift off the gas every time you think you might need to brake. Please, don't use the response that someone could "ride the brakes" I'm only talking to people who are smart enough not to do that.

SO... when driving an automatic, which foot do you prefer to brake with?

Denny,

i use my right foot to gas and to brake.

you are right that race car drivers use both feet to brake/gas. you can see that sometimes on nascar when they do the in-car cam.

i would think that would take some time getting used to, akward at first.

but hey what ever is most comfortable to you :D

Yes, I suppose it is akward at first but since I learned to brake with my left foot in driver ed in HS, I have always used my left. I do have a hard time controlling my braking modulation with my right foot, but only in an automatic. For some reason when my left foot is busy with the clutch (like in my truck), I have no problem braking with my right foot. Call it strange.

I also noticed the NASCAR drivers using their left foot to brake and they even had a commentary on it a few years ago.

CURRENT SCORE:

LEFT = 1

RIGHT = 1

Denny,

I've reverted back to the right foot also...but growing up in the little town of Branson MO (which is a tourist attraction conglomerate) - I learned to use my left foot -and did so for a long time after.

This allowed me to Merge quicker into tight spots of traffic and to really staly close behind cars with "lightning quick" braking potential :lol:

My wife is amazed that I can brake with the Left...no biggie though - It's like riding a bike; once you learn, you never forget :D

Left foot, especially when performance driving - reason being, reduced reponse time for braking and there are certain times when you want to be on the gas and the brake at the same time to execute a special drivng technique/trick.

TIP: If you don't know what I'm talking about - DON'T ASK!

I really can't see why anyone would break and accelerate at the same time in a car with automatic transmission. :wacko: In a car with a manual it would make no difference since the clutch separates the braking system from the transmission and you can rav up the engine while braking, but with automatic, you'll fry the tranny. I've never tried breaking and hitting the gas at the same time and have no desire to do so.

I'm glad you didn't ask... JK

Hey, I don't recommend it, but if you're going to drive a performance sports car to its extreme capabilities, then there are techniques that you use the gas and brake at the same time - and yes, it will stress the car.

In an auto - especially front wheel drive, I see no reason on earth to use your left foot to brake. In a manual, rear wheel drive, moderately high power car - I can think of a few reasons to use the left foot to brake.

I use my right foot to brake unless I'm doing a brake torque on a rear drive auto. I am learning to use my left foot on the SC. I am far from getting the hang of it though.

I guess the reason I llike to brake with my left foot is because it is nice to have the brake pedal "covered" when driving in a situation where you might need to brake. Rather than lift completely off the gas because you might need to brake, I'd rather just ease up on the gas and be prepared to react. I never push both the gas and brake at the same time (unless I am powerbraking which I am too old to do now).

At 70 mph, you can travel several hundred feet in the time it takes to remove your right foot from the gas and move it to apply the brake. Since you left foot has nothing to do since they put high beam switches on the turn signals, why not use it?

It does take practice to get use to, but the benefits are numerous.

I understand your point. But I never had a problem with getting my right foot over in time. To each his own. Everyone has their perspective. I can't say it is wrong to use the left foot. I wouldn't though, unless I'm trying to make smoke.

Make smoke :huh: ???

Just kidding, I'm too old to do that also.

Definitely to each their own, but for normal everyday driving I do the same as VB for the same reasons - having your left foot poised to brake reduces reaction time and can help avoid an accident; anything from a fender-bender to much worse. It takes some time to get used to using your left foot, but if you've driven a stick shift, then it probably would come pretty quickly.

If you really wanted to learn, my suggestion is to start doing it in very low speed situations, parking lots, rural roads and get your left leg accustomed to being used this way, it'll be a little jerky for a while, but it'll start to feel natural and soon enough you'll probably be saying that I'll never drive with just my right foot again.

I'm 26. Maybe you guys are just gettin' a little slower? ;) I'm just jokin'. If I'm in a parking lot practicing something - it's goin sideways. That's what the left foot is for in my mind. Heel-toe and skidz marks. Occasional e-brake. That'll stop ya fast.

Keep bein' safe guys. B)

Hi VBdenny!! :)

I have always left-foot-braked an automatic car.

AND for the very same reasons you mentioned.

But truth be told - I was taught to left-foot-brake. So it's not as though I 'changed-my-ways' after giving it some serious thought. But even after hearing all of the arguments for and against [over the years] I'm glad I was taught to use my left foot.

Craig!! :)

I use my right foot to brake every where.

This is what I was thought in my Driver's Ed. class.

One might want to you thier left foot to brake on a traffic signal, if thier automatic car is really really ghetto and backs up if nothing is applied. LOL. :D

Wait a minute, do you leave your left foot right above the brake pedal at all times? Or do you keep it on the dead pedal, and when things get dicey, the foot reaches over?

I use right foot. My left foot is too busy.

Talking about heel-toe, does anyone heel toe with their left foot? Like left toe on brake and heel on clutch?

I keep my left foot on the dead pedal, however when traffic warrents, I do cover the brake. To heel toe, you must have a stick. I push the clutch with my left foot only.