What Octane For 1993 Gs300

I'm about to buy a 1993 gs300 and i'm wondering what octane gas is recommended

and what octane does everyone here use. If it's recommened to use 91 or higher can

you put in 87 octane or will that ruin the engine?thanks

P.S.- I'm a poor college student if your wondeering why i'm so cheap;)

the suggested is premium grade fuel because it is a premium car and it probably cost you quite a pretty penny.

but if you put 87 into the engine, the engine will not respond as well and a few factors such as gas mileage will go down. so in the end, with the extra gas you need to put in becasue of the lower gas mileage, you might as well get the premium and go with higher gas mileage and a better maintained car. if it's going to be a brand new GS, i would say go with somethin else if you can't afford the higher premium gas.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

If you start getting knocking noises then use 91 octane. It is recommended but not written in stone. if you do go with 87 and hear knocking, go back to 91.

And income247, he did not ask you for an opinion about his money not being able to maintain his car. Wise as nothing.:)

If you start getting knocking noises then use 91 octane. It is recommended but not written in stone. if you do go with 87 and hear knocking, go back to 91.

And income247, he did not ask you for an opinion about his money not being able to maintain his car. Wise as nothing.:)

Actually, that's not what would happen. The engine will not knock using the lower octane fuel, but the timing will !Removed!, which will decrease performance.

(And I personally think the admonition to not buy a car that one can't afford to maintain to be very sound advice. If a person is on so tight a budget as to not be able to afford premium fuel, they're not likely to be able to afford the required periodic maintenance, let alone any repairs that might come up.)

• 5 weeks later...

In my 1994 GS300, I use 89 octane and add a fuel reformulator called ETHOS. Been doing that for about a year. NO knocking. great performance. Just had a smog check in California today and the technician said the engine is so clean, I could do open surgery in it!

In my 1994 GS300, I use 89 octane and add a fuel reformulator called ETHOS. Been doing that for about a year. NO knocking. great performance. Just had a smog check in California today and the technician said the engine is so clean, I could do open surgery in it!

My '98 GS400 has "finger" knocking noises when fueling with 91, it disappears when i put in 94 from Sunoco