'95Ls400- Best Oem Style Brand Brake Pads? Ceramics Possibly Warpe

david1walker

Guys,

I've got 170k on my LS, and bought it at 20k miles. I have always used OEM pads since I've owned it, and have never had ANY issues with rotors warping. 5k miles ago, I had my rotors turned and the mechanic talked me into ceramic pads for this go-round. Well, needless to say, after 5k miles both the wheel pulsates and the steering wheel shakes, all pointing to the rotors having warped.

A. Has anyone experienced this, and is it some sort of an incompatibility with the ceramic pads and the OEM rotors?

B. What brand OEM style pads would you guys recommend if I want to go back to the OEM compound, which I am assuming is a Semi-Metallic?

Thanks in advance, as I couldn't find this info in any of the threads that my searches pulled up.

David

Why don't you just buy OEM pads instead of OEM-style pads. Your wheel pulsating may have nothing to do with the brakes. I had my front rotors turned a couple thousand miles ago at the local Lexus dealer - I had significant front end pulsating/vibrating when stepping on the brakes at highway speeds both before and after the brake job which would seem to point to other suspension components being the real problem. My 00 LS is at 169,600 miles. I'm guessing it is the strut rod bushings again (previously replaced at about 83,000 miles) but the local Lexus dealer either doesn't understand or doesn't take much interest in these old cars.

Pad-wise, I've had very good luck over the years with Wagner Thermoquiet pads; they're easy on rotors, generate lower dust content, long-lasting and stop well. They're spendy compared to many ceramics on the market, but worth using.

I would also check that the sliding pins that hold the caliper onto the caliper bracket are moving freely, the rubber boots are in good condition and that they're properly greased. If they're binding or stuck, they could cause things to heat up (since they can't slide smoothly) and help things warp.

Paul