New Recall On Lexus Rx400H Coming Soon

This is the status of this morning on MY Lexus

:wacko::geek: Safety Recall DLF (D2F - Interim) - Certain 2006 through 2008 Model Year RX 400H Vehicles Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement

At the present time, Lexus is developing the remedy for this safety recall. Lexus will notify owners of covered vehicles by first class mail. Please continue to check this site for additional information.

What is the Condition? Within the vehicle, inside the inverter assembly is an Intelligent Power Module (IPM) which contains a control board equipped with transistors. The solder underneath these transistors could degrade and eventually cause damage to them, illuminating various warning lights on the instrument panel. In most cases, the vehicle will enter a fail-safe mode, resulting in reduced motive power in which the vehicle can still be driven for short distances. In limited instances, the fuse of the power supply circuit could blow, causing the hybrid system to shut down and resulting in the vehicle stopping while being driven.

Again!? I took mine in twice for them to check for this already. Did they miss some again and I have to take it in for a 3rd time? Well, at least I get a free tank of gas and a wash.

Here is the current recall. Below it is the previous one from 2011. The Lexus site says my 2006 VIN is not recalled. I had my board changed during the original 2011 recall.

TORRANCE, CA September 3, 2013 – Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. today announced that it will conduct two voluntary safety recalls. One involves approximately 133,000 MY 2006-2010 Highlander Hybrid and MY 2006-2008 Lexus RX 400h vehicles. The other involves approximately 102,000 MY 2006-2011 Lexus IS 350, IS 350C, and GS 350 vehicles.

In the involved Toyota Highlander Hybrid and Lexus RX 400h vehicles, transistors within the hybrid system's inverter assembly can experience heat damage due to variations in characteristics of the transistors' parallel circuits. Should this occur, various warning lights on the instrument panel will illuminate, and in most cases the vehicle will enter "limp home mode." In limited instances, the hybrid system will shut down and resulting in the vehicle stopping while the vehicle is being driven.

In the involved Lexus IS 350, IS 350C and GS 350 vehicles, bolts used to secure the variable valve timing control device can become loose, causing the vehicle to stop while being driven. Early warning for this condition can be identified as a brief rattle noise for approximately 1 second upon a cold start-up.

Owners of vehicles subject to these recalls will receive a notification by first class mail.

Detailed information is available to customers at www.toyota.com/recall and www.lexus.com/recall and by calling the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.

On June 29, 2011, Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall involving approximately 45,500 Highlander Hybrid and 36,700 Lexus RX 400h vehicles sold in the U.S. No other Toyota or Lexus vehicles are involved.

The Intelligent Power Module (IPM) located inside the Hybrid System Inverter contains a control board with transistors. Certain transistors on the control boards in some of the subject vehicles were inadequately soldered and could be damaged from heat caused by a large current flow during high-load driving.

If this were to occur, various warning lamps will illuminate on the instrument panel. In most cases the vehicle will enter a fail-safe driving mode, resulting in reduced power in which the vehicle can still be driven for short distances. In limited instances, the power supply circuit fuse could blow when the transistor is damaged. If the fuse blows, the hybrid system will stop and the vehicle will coast to a stop.

Toyota is currently working on obtaining the necessary replacement parts. Once the replacement parts are available, we will notify owners. In the interim, owners of the involved vehicles will be notified of the recall by first-class mail in mid-July 2011.

Once the replacement parts have been produced in sufficient quantities, Toyota will send a second owner notification by first-class mail advising owners to make an appointment with an authorized Toyota dealer to have the IPM inspected and, if necessary, replaced at no charge.

Detailed information and answers to questions are available to customers atwww.toyota.com/recall and the Toyota Customer Experience Center (1 800-331-4331) or www.lexus.com/recall and Lexus Customer Satisfaction (1 800-255-3987).

This whole multiple IPM recall has got to be an embarrassment for Lexus. You think with all the barcoded labels on each part, they would know which VIN numbers would be affected without having to take it in and look at the inverter serial number.

Maybe they were trying to be too selective last recall and realized that the remaining cars potentially have the same problem...Very costly problem for some bean counters poor decision to cut cost or procedures designed by engineers. Saw this all the time at my former large corporation. save a few cents in manufacturing and cost the field folks huge repairs in the future. What is the saying penny wise or dollar foolish.

so just to be clear, this is the same recall as 2011 just a wider scope of cars? and it is the same module being replaced now as in 2011 so if it was done then you are not included in this recall? Or is this a new issue with the same components?

• 1 month later...

"In the involved Lexus IS 350, IS 350C and GS 350 vehicles... Early warning for this condition can be identified as a brief rattle noise for approximately 1 second upon a cold start-up."

Is this related to the RX400h recall or is the rattle they're talking about for the IS/GS only? The reason I'm asking is that I sometimes get a loud metallic sounding rattle when the ICE starts during cold start-up. It usually happens more frequently the longer I let the car sit undriven. From my searches people seem to say it's related to oil filter anti-drain valve. Will this recall fix this rattle you think or should I be trying different things? Have always used 5w20 and have experienced rattle using both regular and synthetic oil.

"In the involved Lexus IS 350, IS 350C and GS 350 vehicles... Early warning for this condition can be identified as a brief rattle noise for approximately 1 second upon a cold start-up."

Is this related to the RX400h recall or is the rattle they're talking about for the IS/GS only? The reason I'm asking is that I sometimes get a loud metallic sounding rattle when the ICE starts during cold start-up. It usually happens more frequently the longer I let the car sit undriven. From my searches people seem to say it's related to oil filter anti-drain valve. Will this recall fix this rattle you think or should I be trying different things? Have always used 5w20 and have experienced rattle using both regular and synthetic oil.

No, the RX400h recall is for suspect solder joints inside the inverter power module, and it would have nothing to do with starting the engine or rattle sounds. The symptom for the 400h would be loss of the hybrid system in hot weather at high speeds (going into limp mode).

• 6 months later...

I'm sorry I'm new to this group, so if I'm posting in the wrong area, I apologize.

First off, I have to say, is be wary of this recall. I had to have this recall done just to be able to register my car. It's due this month.

So, last Thursday, I dropped my 2006 Lexus RX 400h off at the dealership to have this recall taken care of. Before this, my car has no issues, runs fine, no problems whatsoever. Friday evening, I pick up my car, drive it home, and I didn't drive it over the weekend. Monday morning, I leave for work, I have a 66 mile round trip commute.

Halfway, through my commute, going to work, the car acts up. The exhaust lets out a pop sound, and all the lights come on the dash...check hybrid system...check vsc system...check engine...and every light comes on. The car immediately slowed down, and came to a stop. Luckily, I was next to the shoulder and was able to pull over.

My RX 400h has been towed to the dealership, and as of right now, they can't find the problem. They said the hybrid system has been affected, but they haven't found the problem or the solution yet.

Lucky me, my car has over 101,000 miles on it.

Do your research on this recall!!

I have done my research. What are you trying to tell us? The Lexus tech screwed up? I had the recall done and have not had any problems.

Without more info, we can not judge what happened. Remember all dealerships are not equal, just like no two mechanics are perfect.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone tell me if this recall work appointment took more than one day? I am going to schedule my recall appt in the next week but I wanted to know honestly how long will I be without a car. Unfortunately, my dealership is so busy that there are never enough loaners to go around and they make promises that are less than truthful about how long repairs will take.

Wow Lisa, my service manager at my dealer and I make an appointment and he reserves a loaner RX for me. They also would rent a car for you at my dealership if they are out of loaners however my service guy doesn't have this problem, he takes care of his customers, do you have one person dedicated to your account?