92 Es300 Oil Leak

PhilP

:( I have a 92 ES300 with about 150K miles on it. This car has provided me with years and thousand of miles of reliable service without any major problems. About a year ago, I noticed oil leak that appears to be coming from the valve cover. I used one of those products that help stop oil leaks by treating the gaskets and expanding them. I think its called "No Leak". It helped a little bit. It progressively got worse. I took the car into a shop recently, Car X to replace the valve cover gaskets. Cost $300 to do both banks.

This is when the nightmare begins. After I got the car back, I noticed the leak did not stop. I took it back to Car X and they tell me the cam seal need to be replaced. I had it done for another $300. After a few days, another leak shows up and this time pretty strong. I looked at it and it looks like it's coming from the outside part of the front bank and dripping over the oil filter. I took it in again. This time they tell me I need a head gasket replaced. This is an expensive proposition, about $1500.

Other than this problem, the car is in very good shape internally and externally. Is this a sign of things to come. I'm afraid that because of the high mileage, things are going to continue breaking. Has anyone experience this kind of problem. Is Car X taking me for a ride.

Question: Did this repair shop use genuine Lexus parts or aftermarket valve cover gaskets. I've heard that unless you use genuine Lexus gaskets you might run into this problem. Just a thought. ;)

Question: Did this repair shop use genuine Lexus parts or aftermarket valve cover gaskets. I've heard that unless you use genuine Lexus gaskets you might run into this problem. Just a thought. ;)

I believe they used genuine Lexus gaskets. The new leak does not appear to be coming from the valve covers on either banks.

It doesn't matter what kind of valve cover gaskets they used. They should advise you to go ahead and replace the cam seals and valve cover gaskets at the same time. If you headgaskets are blown your oil will be milky and the engine won't run that long. My advise, stay away from them. They don't know what they are doing and trying to dig money out of your pocket. Note, your powersteering pump might leak. You might have that check out. Look in the yellow book for an independent lexus/toyota shop, they might be expensive but you will get your problem fixed the first time. Good luck.

JPI