Trans Fluid Amount With Just Drain Plug Removed

turboomni

Hey Guys. I had a service on my 1997 LS400 tranny with a filter change but no flush. Just dropped the pan. I would like to at every oil change pull the trans plug and drain the pan and and top it off. I read somewhere either in the owners manual or maybe read it on my CD of the factory manual how much fluid to expect to drain with this method ,,but I cant find it. The trans fluid is 11 dollars a quart so I would like to know how much to buy!

Thanks

If you pull the plug and let it drain for a few minutes, you can expect about two quarts to drain. However, it will continue to drip and drip such that I have actually gotten much more than that...maybe up to three quarts if you let it drip over night. So, bottom line is to measure what you capture and replace that amount. It can be 'tricky' trying to read the dipstick so I like to measure and refill.

I always buy my T4 fluid by the case (12 quarts) at the local Toyota dealer for about $5 per quart. You have to ask them for their discount price but they will give you a better deal by the case.