Upgrading Speakers

Boston

Hello everyone! I have a 2001 RX300 Silversport with Navigation. I believe it uses a Pioneer head unit, 6.5" front speakers with tweets, 5.5" rear speakers (I think...), and a tiny sub underneath the passenger seat. I would like to at least upgrade the front speakers and had in mind the Focal 165 K2P K2 6.5" component set with TN52 tweeters. The specs are below as a reference:

6.5" Woofer

1.5" voicecoil

4" magnet

TN 52 tweeter.

dome- inverted tioxid 5 dome

18dB/oct Seperate crossover

Adjustable tweeter and midrange level

Max. power handling: 200Watts

Nominal, power handling: 100Watts

Sensitivity : 92.5dB.

Freq response:

70Hz-22kHz

Is it worth running this set using the existing stock setup (without getting a new amp)? If so, could I keep the stock tweeters running alongside the new Focal tweeters? I would appreciate any comments and ideas as I am new to car audio. Thanks in advance!

I also have a 2001 RX 300. The stock speakers in this vehicle are already high quality. With out upgrading the amp you aren't going to see much of an improvement. Check out my post under the audio/video forum. I also used Dynamat extreme and tac mat in the front doors. This has made a huge difference. Sound improvement and no rattles. I would try that first before upgrading the speakers. I was also going to upgrade the speakers but after the dynamat products I have no need.

Also, I am pretty sure that the back speakers are also 6.5" in your rx300.

Let us know how it turns out.

I also have a 2001 RX 300.  The stock speakers in this vehicle are already high quality.  With out upgrading the amp you aren't going to see much of an improvement.  Check out my post under the audio/video forum.  I also used Dynamat extreme and tac mat in the front doors.  This has made a huge difference.  Sound improvement and no rattles.  I would try that first before upgrading the speakers.  I was also going to upgrade the speakers but after the dynamat products I have no need.

Also, I am pretty sure that the back speakers are also 6.5" in your rx300.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll try it and let you know how it turns out... Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

dynamat is pretty good stuff...i dont know about a huge dif...but it will help rattles and bass response...you may wana replace the factory amp the same time you do your speakers...alll in all you are not going to get an extreme change in sound from the factory sound with out spending $$$$$....i dont know what your looking for in ur audio sys...you may wana just add a small sub and amp in the cargo space....that will give you alot of fill where the factory leaves off and you wont have to shake the piggy bank so much.....

Thanks,Bryan

• 2 weeks later...
dynamat is pretty good stuff...i dont know about a huge dif...but it will help rattles and bass response...you may wana replace the factory amp the same time you do your speakers...alll in all you are not going to get an extreme change in sound from the factory sound with out spending $$$$$....i dont know what your looking for in ur audio sys...you may wana just add a small sub and amp in the cargo space....that will give you alot of fill where the factory leaves off and you wont have to shake the piggy bank so much.....

Thanks,Bryan

Bryan,

You are right, I wanted to try to get a bit better sound without dropping major $$$$ as well as tearing up my entire vehicle. I'm looking to use the Dynamats and finding an amp and sub (or a preamped sub). Any suggestions to the amp and sub would be appreciated folks! Thanks very much!

Well back to that price thing....if you wana stay in the mid to upper price range you will put out around $300 to $500 for a good amp,sub,box and labor....mtx is good stuff they have a good 12" sub called the 6000 series with a mtx 4250d amp....with a pre fab box.....this should be plenty...you will need an amp kit and a line out adaptor...tell the installer who works on your car to hook the line out adaptor to the factory sub under the passenger seat......works better that way....use atleast an 8 gauge amp kit...you should hold out on the dynamat until the sub is installed.....audio shops make alot of$$$$ on that stuff and you may not need it......once ur sub is in if you have raddles the tell them youwana get rid of them....saves you some$$$$$ you and the shop will know exactly were it goes and will save you money..... :cheers:

please let me know how it goes.......

your friend,Bryan