Climate Control Switch Removal

How do you guys remove the climate control switch? Is it simply a matter of using a flat-head screwdriver and simply pry it out? I want to check with you guys first before I may inadvertently damage the dash trying to force it out.

emperor,

Typically, the surround molding for the center dash (HVAC/Radio/Center Dash Vents) simply pops straight out, if pried from around all sides. Some older cars from this era may have a screw or two hidden behind a molding that you pop up with a screwdriver (My 1990 300ZX does), and then you can pry the molding out.

Take a thin bladed straight screwdriver and tape the blade with masking tape, to prevent scratching the molding and the dash. Then push it into a seam between the dash and the molding and pry carefully to force the molding clip to release. The molding should pop out about a quarter of an inch. Do the same all around the molding, and gently pull the entire molding straight out of the dash.

You should then find that the radio/HVAC units?etc., are easily removed after you take out the screws around each of them. Pull the unit out that you want to replace and unclip its wiring harness connector. Good Luck!

First and foremost, I do NOT recommend using a screwdriver to remove any trim pieces.. You will easily scratch something. Use some sort of plastic pry tool instead.

If I recall correctly, you need to first remove the gearshift surround trim. This will pop up when lifted. I believe that there are 4 clips on the corners so pry near a corner on either the driver's or passenger's side of the console. Once you pop one side, gently pry the other side of the same end and firmly and evenly lift the other end out. Remove the bolts that hold the ashtray in place and then you will see the bolts that hold the radio in place. Remove these bolts and slide the radio forward. Reach around the back and unclip the wiring harness. You will now have access to the climate control bolts. Remove those and you're done.